Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #1 
Sir Fishington

looking for advice on my tank

hey everyone i got a 20 gallon tank and heres how it sits right now. its got a topfin 100w adjustable heater a aquaclear filter with baffle and a couple of live plants in it. just want your opinion on what would make this tank more betta friendly.
i am planning on adding 2 African dwarf frogs and probably something else that goes well with bettas. the plants look sickly in the pic but they have livened up substantially since the pic was taken
Name:  IMG_0784.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  72.5 KB

thanks for any advice im a rookie at this so i definitely need the help.
Sir Fishington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

realy nice setup, i would say add more plants. :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Your tank looks great! I would be wary of the castle ornament as it has sharp points that could tear a bettas fins or scratch his sides. Also make sure that the driftwood does not have any sharp points/edges where your betta could snare his fins. If it does just get some sand paper and sand the area nice and smooth and rince before placing it back in your tank.

You will also need to watch that the filter inlet does not suck in your betta or his fins. To eliminate this you could place a small peice of stocking/pantyhose material over the inlet and use a rubber band or something along those lines to hold it in place.

Your tank looks so nice, I am sure that your betta will be very happy in there.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Looks good to me.
I'd also say a few more plants would be good. Just to give some cover if anyone wants to hide out or get away from the action once in a while.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #5 
veggiegirl

Hey again, sorry just realised that the drift wood is an ornament and not real wood in which case it may not be a good idea to sand it.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

lol veggiegirl you and the drift wood lol , but i would take the moss ball out of the wood thing lol, it will start to turn brown if it stays still, it needs to be able to roll around :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #7 
Sir Fishington

thanks:) i am wondering if the castle is what hurt sir fishington's pectoral fin in the first place. it used to be his favorite place in his old tank but im sure he wont miss it with this much room to move. the intake sock sounds like a good idea too. do they like a lot of cover near the surface like floating plants or anything like that?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #8 
Surferjo

Looks good but could use some more plants. Instead of getting just one of each type get 2 or 3 and clump them together. It will make for a more dramatic look. Adding a little more gravel and creating a few peaks and valleys is always an easy and cheap way to create some dimension in your tank. Put the heater in a corner. Heaters are ugly and should be hidden, your filter will keep the water mobile enough to keep the water temp even. Get some real drift wood and attach some anubias to it. it will eventually attach to the wood and look awesome. A nice dark bit of Mopani wood will be a nice contrast to your light gravel. I would lose the white stone and the castle and keep with the natural theme. move your lower plants to the foreground and keep the taller ones in the back
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 
Sir Fishington

wow thanks for the input everyone those are some awesome ideas i do want to find a large piece of gnarly driftwood but im going to wait to find one the right shape.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #10 
Sir Fishington

wow thanks for the input everyone those are some awesome ideas i do want to find a large piece of gnarly driftwood but im going to wait to find one the right shape.