Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #1 
underdebate

What happened to his fin?

Isaac is apparently having fin trouble (again.. and just when I thought we were in the clear, sigh).

As of at least two hours ago, his fins looked pretty good: nothing's changed about his bottom fin (it's still healing from some rot-- he was a rescue), and the big chunk missing from his back fin was also there before (same deal). However, all that rattiness and stringy-looking tears, on the section of his back fin that's right above the missing chunk? COMPLETELY NEW.

I'm at a loss. Is he biting? Is this the most rapidly-progressing case of rot ever? There's nothing he could've ripped it on: he's in a 1.5 gallon bowl right now (I was treating him with some salt for the little pinhole you can see in his back fin-- I think what happened is it healed weird the first time and he opened it while flaring, but it's completely closed now), and the only things in the bowl are a mini-heater and a thermometer.

This is a little bit terrifying for me because his fins looked perfectly fine last time I checked on him. He's been in absolutely pristine water for the past month or so (I'm a bit paranoid), and I have no idea how it happened.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by underdebate; 03-25-2012 at 09:33 PM.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
Silverfang

You've got a biter, that damage is self inflicted I must admit.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #3 
underdebate

Okay, well-- biting I can deal with! I think.

I know that the water conditions aren't what are stressing him out, at least. I think it might be boredom-related-- he is in an empty bowl, admittedly.

Besides keeping his water clean, what should I do? I could add a plant to the bowl, maybe give him something to hide behind.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #4 
Silverfang

yes, if he's a boredom biter, give him lots of distractions, plants, hidey holes, I've heard of using ping pong balls and bottle caps floating on the surface for them to play with (not that I've tried that).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote