Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 AM   #1 
DTailskatr

Questions from a Newbie

I had already started a thread on the Betta pics page but thought it would be best to start with a new one over here since I seem to have a 101 questions! lol

Anyways.... I have just gotten my first Betta-I have had them as a kid but always just a tiny glass bowl with rocks on the bottom, only feeding the poor thing a few times a week with min water changes. I am mainly worried about the ammonia level and type food I have gotten. So far, I have feed him omega one pellets and tetra dried blood worms. Are these ok?
I have also been testing the water ammonia levels. First time it read .25 with nothing but sand and a temp gauge. I added a moss ball and java fern and it was down to 0. I figured then it would be best to get him out of his tiny cup and added the fish. Tonight, not even 24 hours later, it is .5! I don't want to kill my poor little boy! What do I need to do in order to keep him healthy?
Sorry that I can't add photo of the set up. If anyone is interested though I did add a pic of the tank to my profile. If you see something awfully wrong please let me know.
Any and all help is more than apperciated!!! :)

-As a side note, when I was at my pet store I saw a beautiful black HM. I have another tank I could set up for him and really considering on going back for him. How common are black bettas? This is the first I believe I have seen...

Last edited by DTailskatr; 03-26-2012 at 01:24 AM.
DTailskatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

what water conditioner did you use? and what kind of testing equipment? Maybe I missed it... but what size is your tank?
Oh, and weight ur java fern down, but dont bury it into the substrate :) they dont like that...

Last edited by ao; 03-26-2012 at 02:15 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

One thing I've learned in this hobby is the more you worry, the more something may become a bigger deal than it is. The best way to avoid worrying is to do water changes. In small tanks, a 50% every few days is great! In large tanks I clean about 75% every few days. I don't use filters and I have a python siphon so it's easier for me. Just make sure you're doing water changes at least once a week in smaller tanks. The more, the better!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTailskatr View Post
So far, I have feed him omega one pellets and tetra dried blood worms.
Easy on the FD bloodworms. Few and seldom (once a week for treats seems to be the consensus around here). Most keepers prefer frozen BWs. Omega One is very good.

Quote:
I have also been testing the water ammonia levels.
With a liquid test kit, I hope. Strips are not as accurate.

Quote:
First time it read .25 with nothing but sand and a temp gauge.
Check your source water.

Quote:
I added a moss ball and java fern and it was down to 0.
Hmmm...shouldn't make that much difference. Perhaps your test was inaccurate.

Quote:
... not even 24 hours later, it is .5!
That can happen, especially with an active fish. Change at least half the water whenever ammonia gets to .25ppm. (I used to change my 1gallons almost every day). What are you using for water conditioner? Many here recommend Prime.

Quote:
If you see something awfully wrong please let me know.
I don't see a heater. This is a VERY important item. For recommendations, look around here for a heater thread. Many small tank keepers use a Hagen Elite 25watt, the smallest adjustable heater I know of.

Quote:
I saw a beautiful black HM.
Get yourself set up with this fish and get some experience. There'll be other gorgeous fish out there.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-26-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Many water plants add ammonia to disinfect water, which may be why you had readings right away. :/
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
DTailskatr

First, thanks to everyone for your help :)

Sorry I didn't add more detail. The water conditioner I have been using is splendid betta. I know it probably isn't the best but the store was sold out of everyother so I thought it would be ok for now.
I used API drop ammonia kit. I heard how bad strip tests can be.
The tank I have is only a 1.5 gallon. I know isn't not the best size but I am planning on moving hum soon. I also changed the java fern. I just listened to the lady at the store who told me it would be best to bury it. I should have learned by now to never listen to them lol
And as far as a heater goes, I did buy one however the water has stayed at 78 without it and Im scared of it being to warm.. what is the perfect temp for him???
Thanks again for all the help! :)
Hopefully I didn't miss anything this time....
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

78F is just fine.
Actually if you have ammonia in your tap water, I believe Prime neutralizes some ammonia, so you should look into that.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

If Olypmia is right about the local plant, definitely get your hands on some Prime. It will detoxify that ammonia. :)

Is your tank still 78 at night? Remember that temperatures drop at night...I would get a heater anyway to make sure that is stays the same even in the coldest hours. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #9 
DTailskatr

I will definitely be ordering a bottle of Prime! Thanks for the advice :)
I thought that it would change during the night to but I checked it at midnight and 2am, it was still right on 78. I do keep my house uncommonly warm though for my bird so maybe that's why it hasn't changed...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Wow...I couldn't live in a house that warm. :p If your temperature is that consistent, then I wouldn't say you need a heater. It might be handy to have one on hand in case the house heating goes out but you still have electricity, or something like that, but no need to put it in his tank. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote