Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Thumbs down Shipping injury? Not something I've seen before.

Just got a girl in with a yellowish/milky covering over one eye, isn't fuzzy at all and is not overgrown dragon scales. It looks like a yellowish cap on one eye, eye doesn't seem to be swollen. She also has a patch on her side where it looks like she might have lost a few scales, and there is a small raggedy whitish yellowish area there as well that is slightly raised. Eats and acts normally, I have her in warm, conditioned, aq salted water with IAL.

Any advice or ideas what this is? I'm hoping just an injury since it's on one eye and just a few scales. I can't find my camera for the life of me or I'd definitely post photos. Thanks guys.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #2 
Myates

Hmm.. First thing that popped into my head is a bacterial infection.. the part over the eye, I want to believe she may be blind there.. a lot of times when a betta is blind, their eye will be of solid coloration.. so was wondering if that could be the case here as well.

Either way you have the right treatment at this point for her- the AQ salt will help keep the wounds clean, and kill off most/all bacteria that may be present. If it seems to be getting worse then you can look into possible medications such as the Maracyn lines- but for now, the AQ salt will be helpful.

Once you find your camera then we can get a better ideal and go from there.. poor little girl.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #3 
GreenTea

I hope not, she was part of a really nice pair and her eye was fine before. I will take a look at her after my nap and check on her again and try to find that dang camera again.

Your avatar is very funny :)
Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Who did you buy her from? The seller may have some ideas as to what this is. I sure it all works out well for you and your fish.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #5 
GreenTea

I didn't see your response tpo, I haven't contacted the seller. The seller is profish...

The strange white thing almost looks like it's...coming off now? Her eye looks a bit more clear... ugh it's hard to explain. I still haven't found my dang camera...

Do you guys think aq salt is good for treating the open skin on her side? It seems a little irritated or something. It's not red, but the fact it hasn't healed up yet concerns me. I was thinking some epsom might be good to reduce the swelling in the area? She's still in water with prime, IAL, and aq salt.

Tags
damage, injury, scales, shipping, yellow