Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 
rubenhak

Fluval Chi and Betta

Hi Everybody,

I'm pretty new to aquariums and this is my first post in this forum. My betta died few days ago and I'd like to start over again and do it the right way now.

I've got Fluval Chi 5 gallon aquarium. Ideally I'd like to have natural plants in it. Which plants would you guys recommend to make the new betta happy and that would work with my tank? What kind of additional stuff would I need to keep the aquarium healthy? Should I first set up aquarium with plants for some time, when it is in good shape then try to add the betta?

What kind of stones/graves would be good for the betta? I used to have small gravel which i replaced with larger white stones. Would that make any difference?

I've noticed some posts regarding high water flow of the fluval chi filter. Should I would some cheesecloth to reduce the water flow? Also regarding the lighting is the power of LED light sufficient for real plants? Is it good for the betta?

Thanks,
Ruben
rubenhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 
rubenhak

Should i get some kind of water testing kits to check when if the water is good ph/ammonia level? Which ones do you recommend? Also , are there any test kits available to check if there are any harmful bacterias?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 
Sheldon31

If you are going to get a testing kit definitely get a liquid testing kit rather than the strips. Strips don't tend to be as accurate as the liquid kids. Mine was 20 it came with 7 different bottles of testing chemicals, 2 glass test tubes, a pippet and a stand with 4 different instruction books with the charts on the backs. Worth every penny. You can get the kits separately too. Plant wise go for something that will grow quickly, low maintenance but that wont invade your tank. I have 3 different types and payed 5.50 for 3 bunches of about 5 or 6 stems. If you are planning on a fishless cycle there's this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 sticky. As bettas tend to hang around the top or middle of the tank most of the time gravel isn't as important, just make sure it has no sharp edges. People like to put orniments that are not intended for aquariums and they sometimes have sharp edges which tear they're gorgeous fins. Theres a test you can do where you run tights (panty hoes in the US) across the ornament or gravel, if it snags or tears it means your bettas fins will too. Bettas love dark caves and plants with big leaves to rest in or on away from the light so you should definitely keep an eye out for a little cave, just check any openings are big enough for him to fit through. Don't want him getting stuck! About the size of an adults thumb is about right. Hope I helped, there are a lot of people here who are more experienced with Bettas but this is what I've picked up :)
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
rubenhak

Just came across a link with some plants for bettas. How good would those plants be with Fluval Chi tank: Tiger Lotus, Java Moss and Java Ferns, Chinese Evergreen?

http://bettafishhome.com/plants-for-betta-fish-tanks
Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #5 
rubenhak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon31 View Post
If you are going to get a testing kit definitely get a liquid testing kit rather than the strips. Strips don't tend to be as accurate as the liquid kids. Mine was 20 it came with 7 different bottles of testing chemicals, 2 glass test tubes, a pippet and a stand with 4 different instruction books with the charts on the backs. Worth every penny. You can get the kits separately too. Plant wise go for something that will grow quickly, low maintenance but that wont invade your tank. I have 3 different types and payed 5.50 for 3 bunches of about 5 or 6 stems. If you are planning on a fishless cycle there's this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 sticky. As bettas tend to hang around the top or middle of the tank most of the time gravel isn't as important, just make sure it has no sharp edges. People like to put orniments that are not intended for aquariums and they sometimes have sharp edges which tear they're gorgeous fins. Theres a test you can do where you run tights (panty hoes in the US) across the ornament or gravel, if it snags or tears it means your bettas fins will too. Bettas love dark caves and plants with big leaves to rest in or on away from the light so you should definitely keep an eye out for a little cave, just check any openings are big enough for him to fit through. Don't want him getting stuck! About the size of an adults thumb is about right. Hope I helped, there are a lot of people here who are more experienced with Bettas but this is what I've picked up :)
Sheldon, thanks for your comments! Could you also give the name/link of the kit that you're using? I'd just like to get the proper thing otherwise since I'm just starting I could easy get a wrong kit. Are you familiar with Fluval Chi tank? can you comment on the lighting of that tank?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #6 
rubenhak

do you have photos of you plants? which plants did you use? remember the names?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #7 
Sheldon31

I'm not familiar with the chi no I'm afraid, there are a few people here who have them. I have a 15gal tank with a fluval plus 3 filter. If you google Fluval Chi user manual it will find the Hagen site and they'll have the manual for your filter etc. Any big leafy plants are good for bettas. Like I said they like to rest on them or use them as cover from lights. All those plants you've listed are relatively easy to care for and require little maintenance. I must warn, make sure the tank you use has a lid or cover. Bettas can jump and I've heard of a few people who have had their bettas jump clear out of the tank! You may want to "baffle" your filter. Check out the sticking http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139&page=1 it will reduce the flow of your filter as Bettas like very still water. I'm battling with my filter at the moment as it sometimes pushes my betta away a little.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #8 
Sheldon31

There is a plant sticky here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it for you.

ETA: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428. I have a few Anubis and a Anacharis.

Last edited by Sheldon31; 03-26-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 
Sheldon31

Forgot to ask, do you have a heater? Bettas don't like the cold so need a heater and you'll need a thermometer to keep an eye on things.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 
rubenhak

Sheldon31, if I decide to go with fishless cycle with food or a planted tank cycle,
should I do the cycle with or without the carbon filter? I'm just asking in case that
the filter would absorb the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate and that would interfere with
the cycle?