Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

This fella has a bit of an ego....lol....I stumbled across him last week and all I could do was laugh at some of the stuff he stated...some info was correct...but he lost all my respect with his ego..."MY way is the only way"

Be careful going to his site....I got a virus alert the second I went on his site......

Don't worry MrV...we got his number-he has nothing on you......and you would think a person that claims to have a degree in biology would have a bit more knowledge on the science behind water, water quality, breeding and genetics ...etc....and could at least spell...plus being a father-would use proper language both written and oral........good heavens......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-26-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
I never knew inbreeding was a normal part of betta breeding. Anyone care to elaborate as to why? Interesting.
It helps isolate genes, I think, like if you want to have a larger amount of opaque whites in your spawn or something.

Does this guy sell betta on aquabid or does he sell them to like, wal mart? o.o
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #13 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Um..... yeah, quite a few of those were missed. I'll be cleaning it up.

I was tempted to just remove the thread but Mr. V has a good point in that this guy is a total nutjob and should probably be avoided.
Yeah sorry! I tried to get all the ones I could but with so much to read that made no sense it was difficult!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
I never knew inbreeding was a normal part of betta breeding. Anyone care to elaborate as to why? Interesting.
It helps strengthen the traits you want to breed. If a male has nice fins you would breed to a sister and then a daughter back to him. This can be done up to six generations without ill effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
This fella has a bit of an ego....lol....I stumbled across him last week and all I could do was laugh at some of the stuff he stated...some info was correct...but he lost all my respect with his ego..."MY way is the only way"

Be careful going to his site....I got a virus alert the second I went on his site......

Don't worry MrV...we got his number-he has nothing on you......and you would think a person that claims to have a degree in biology would have a bit more knowledge on the science behind water, water quality, breeding...etc....and could at least spell...plus being a father-would use proper language both written and oral........good heavens......
I thought his methods were interesting but his ego... I have no words for it! The IBC thought the same thing!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #14 
Wolfie305

Wow that's crazy neat. At least it doesn't have any health effects.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #15 
Romad
TFK Moderator

[quote=MrVampire181;1025499]Yeah sorry! I tried to get all the ones I could but with so much to read that made no sense it was difficult!

No worries
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

I think you need to outcross at the 7th generations to introduce some new blood and avoid getting too inbred. Even with culling that's going to be a lot of potentially bad recessive genes floating around.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #17 
styggian

Somebody's ego got dented. Bad MrV.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Without inbreeding there'd be like, no breeds of anything.
We learned in bio that a lot of royal families had genetic disorders from marrying their cousins.. You can inbreed a lot less in mammals.
Even without inbreeding betta, aren't there usually a lot of fry to cull?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #19 
sparkyjoe

"In-breeding", or line-breeding, has been done for hundreds (thousands?) of years in animal husbandry to achieve desired traits. Name a domestic animal species, and even some zoo breeding programs for endangered animals, and you are sure to find these types of practices. That's not saying it doesn't have its risks but, as MrV said, when done carefully, with a well thought plan, it has great rewards.

I'm not a breeder, but I've been interested in animal breeding practices since before I started looking for my first dog over 11 years ago. My breed is the Standard Poodle, and this is a hot topic among Poodle breeders as well so I've heard all of the arguments many times over.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #20 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
"In-breeding", or line-breeding, has been done for hundreds (thousands?) of years in animal husbandry to achieve desired traits. Name a domestic animal species, and even some zoo breeding programs for endangered animals, and you are sure to find these types of practices. That's not saying it doesn't have its risks but, as MrV said, when done carefully, with a well thought plan, it has great rewards.

I'm not a breeder, but I've been interested in animal breeding practices since before I started looking for my first dog over 11 years ago. My breed is the Standard Poodle, and this is a hot topic among Poodle breeders as well so I've heard all of the arguments many times over.
Absolutely +1

Inbreeding in mammals can be quite detrimental if not done carefully. In other animals, it's not nearly as bad.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote