Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #21 
wystearya

I am so sorry to hear about this! What an awful roommate you have! I mean, I could see someone without fish knowledge to overfeed a bit, but it looks like they just dumped a ton of food in there. Not to mention putting the other fish in there and making them fight... I would have been livid!

I know it might be difficult, but you should move out as soon as possible. Someone who treats a living animal like that can not be a good person in general. I'm sorry but that was an awful thing to do. No responsible adult would do anything like that. I might expect that from a kid, or a bratty self-absorbed teenager (or bratty adult!). I just can't express how angry this makes me!

I am truly sorry this happened. I wish you and your fish the best!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #22 
makoisland

Oh gosh. At first I just thought “dumb stupidity and irresponsibility” about the overfeeding… but THIS?! That poor boy didn’t ask to be treated that way. D:
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #23 
Aus

Is this in a private house or a college?

If you live in a dorm or college housing, surely you can report this ******* to somebody?

However you can do it - reporting them, telling their parents, anything - make some waves for them. Don't let them get away with treating your fish and you with this level of heinous disrespect.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #24 
styggian

I think I'd beat the living #$%^ out of my roommate if they did that to my pets. I don't think I can really reply without swearing every second word.

Warm water, clean, high quality food, and some AQ salt will hopefully help him out.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #25 
girsnoopy

I just got back from petsmart. I got him Aquarium salt and did a 25% water change and got most of the food out of the bottom of the tank. He looks happy despite his damage. Words can not describe the anger that flows through me, I really think I am going to move out at the end of the week. I know they didn't think it would be a big deal (jockish dudes)

I just talked to my roommate and he said that he went to the petstore and asked what fish would go well with a bettafish. Apparently the lady told him that this huge betta would be a great companion. He tells me that this bigger betta was in a betta tank with other bettas (I smell bull****) and he didnt know it was a betta. I think he's lieing and it pisses me off that he would try to lie to my face. Thanks for all your support guys it means a lot. I hope he recovers, he looks happy in his fresh water.
girsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #26 
Laki

Wait, the pictures were SO large on the first page I couldn't read the text. Did your roommates put another betta in with YOUR betta?!? Wow.

Some smaller pictures could help. The salt should definitely help. I wish you and fishy all the bests. Also, keep the king betta and don't let your roommates near it. WHY would they possess the brilliant idea to get YOU and new pet while YOU WERE GONE?!?!?!?

**Also, aus, could you watch your language please?!? This is a public forum and there are guidelines regarding appropriate language :) But I hear you, harsh language comes to my mind too!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #27 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes. That poor fish really has no other chance. I'd probably start treating him too.
What a sad why to end up with a second betta :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #28 
thekoimaiden

I'm pulling for you and your little guy, too! Warm water, AQ salt, and positive thoughts are the best you can do for your betta right now. But I'm sure you could use a hug. Or a punching bag.

I don't blame you for wanting to get away from those guys. I wouldn't trust anyone who mistreats animals.

Also, welcome to the forum!

ETA: Could your roommate be talking about a gourami? They are closely related to bettas and have many similar requirements such as not being with other gourami or betta, but they do need larger tanks. I don't mean to sound like I am defending the scum bag; I'm just trying to figure it out for the health of your fish.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 03-26-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: I had a thought!!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #29 
kfryman

Laki, the Jockish dudes bought another Betta and fought them.

I also smell bull, even petstore employees know that males cannot be housed together. Also, they never have bettas with other bettas at Petsmart. I would go there or tell them that you go there and all bettas are in cups.

I agree with moving and reporting him/them. They need to know that "property"/ pets should never be messed with. If it was a dog and they did that to another dog your dog will be euthanasized which wouldn't be cool. Also now you are stuck paying for anything needed to repair his fins and if he gets an infection. Give him the receipt and tell him/them to pay you for damages to your fish.

What happened to the other Betta? Did they just flush it or something?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #30 
Wolfie305

I would like to know what happened to the other betta too :(
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote