Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 
Philnominal

Bad eye?

My mom came home with 3 bettas and a 5 gallon tank today. 2 were female that we are watching for aggression out of in our 15 gallon tank atm and the male has the 5 gallon hexagon all to himself. I snapped a quick pic while he was in a bag floating but she got him for 50% off because of his eye. Any idea on what it is?

Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 
wystearya

Looks like it might be a disease called 'pop-eye'. It can be cured, but I don't know the treatment off hand.

Someone with more knowledge should come by soon. :)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
copperarabian

Don't worry the eye isn't injured. Some bettas are born with scaling over their eyes, that's what he has. He is either mostly blind or completely blind in that eye.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

^
Agreed.
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #5 
Philnominal

Thank you, i thought it was popeye myself so when it was first suggested that it could be i added half a packet of maracyn to the tank, ill have to readd the carbon to the filter to remove it
Old 03-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 
Mo

This isn't an injury or even popeye, not even close
As copperabian has suggested, the symptom and problem you are encountering at this particular moment is most likely a result of scaling over the eye. A number of Bettas are born with this, particularly dragon scales. It rarely majorly effects them in any harmful way though, maybe just a little blind or partly blind in that eye.

PS. Beautiful fish yu have there! Ive always wanted an elephant ear Betta such as the one you have, how much was it?

Last edited by Mo; 03-26-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #7 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
This isn't an injury or even popeye, not even close
As copperabian has suggested, the symptom and problem you are encountering at this particular moment is most likely a result of scaling over the eye. A number of Bettas are born with this, particularly dragon scales. It rarely majorly effects them in any harmful way though, maybe just a little blind or partly blind in that eye.

PS. Beautiful fish yu have there! Ive always wanted an elephant ear Betta such as the one you have, how much was it?
It is also supposed to be Halfmoon. Was sold to my mom as a Halfmoon Plakat to my mom at petco, but they took half the price off do to the eye problem. Guess we lucked out. Maybe I can eventually start breeding considering we also got 2 females for our 15 gallon tank today.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 
Philnominal

His scales seem very pronounced, but I am not sure if he is technically dragonscale, would he happen to be? I only have had my male Crowntail I have in my 10 gallon before the three my mom brought hom today so i have no clue what makes what.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

2 females seem dangerous for a sorority, you might need to double check on that. I think you need atleast 4
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #10 
Philnominal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
2 females seem dangerous for a sorority, you might need to double check on that. I think you need atleast 4
I'm a bit worried about it myself. I have checked on them a lot tonight. some initial flaring and sizing each other up but i haven't seen anything since. They are in a heavily stocked 15 with lots of live plants and hides if something goes bad. If nothing else i figure out a way to separate them.

So according to petco's online website they are supposed to be 40 dollars for the elephant ear, not sure if that is with or without shipping. Either way the 7.50 my mom paid was more then a slight deal.