Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #11 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleaa View Post
You have to be careful with aquaticmagic though. They ship illegally and the buyer is responsible if customs inspects the shipment. I got a threatening customs warning the last time I ordered from them.
SAY WHAAAAT!???!!

Had no idea! I ordered successfully twice from them. Second time the envelope was torn open and Canada Post had it wrapped in a plastic bag claiming they received it like that. Both times it took like 4 weeks to get here. Maybe that's why. Cutting corners. Shame on them! wow.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #12 
cp6445

I get IAL from Amy Lin too, and they are great, never moldy, always in good condition. She sent me more than what I paid for too.
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #13 
sparkyjoe

I personally have had no problems with Twinings Organic/Fair Trade Rooibos tea. The only ingredient is Rooibos.

I tried this first because I wanted to see if I liked the look of the water and if it made any difference for my boys. I may order some IAL from Any on eBay and occasionally switch things up.

I've found that I like the tinting of the water (it looks like the pic Styggian posted) and my one betta boy who freaked out when I would turn on his tank light no longer gets frantic when his light is turned on.

When changing the tank water I inevitably get some on my hands and I think it feels... silky or slippery? It definitely is different than normal tank water.

Both of my boys who have this in their tank are alert, look healthy, eat well, and on one boy who had scraped his side that injury cleared up quickly.

These are just my personal observations. Do some research on this tea and it's long time use in fish care is S. Africa before dismissing it completely.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #14 
Tamyu

I managed to get ahold of some rooibas tea yesterday - they were selling 100% pure at the pharmacy as a health supplement.

It really has made a massive difference.

So far, while my male has been making bubble nests at night when all the lights are out, he paces during the day. He swims back and forth against the back of the aquarium, looping around the heater and occasionally panicking and flaring at his reflection. It was almost impossible to feed him because he wouldn't even notice me unless I shoved my finger into the tank in front of him. (And that didn't exactly tempt him to eat.) I figured it would get better as he became more accustomed to his new home.

So... Yesterday, after I got the tea, I dropped a bag into his tank. I left it in until I went to bed.

This morning his nightly bubble nest is a bit smaller, but he isn't pacing. He responded when I approached the tank, followed my finger above the water and happily ate. He seems to be comfortable resting anywhere in the tank now (before I only saw him rest hiding back below the heater.) He just seems to be a lot calmer and happier.

The female seemed scared of the tea bag at first and avoided the creeping darkening of the water... But she was also fine and happy today. She has always been relaxed and friendly though, so no big change in her behavior.

I am convinced that the tea is good.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
SAY WHAAAAT!???!!

Had no idea! I ordered successfully twice from them. Second time the envelope was torn open and Canada Post had it wrapped in a plastic bag claiming they received it like that. Both times it took like 4 weeks to get here. Maybe that's why. Cutting corners. Shame on them! wow.
Ugh why did I not hear about this before?
I think warm climates have more customs for things like aquarium plants and fish, since these things probably wouldn't thrive in Canada. Hahahah. I hope my order doesn't take 4 weeks.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #16 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyu View Post
I managed to get ahold of some rooibas tea yesterday - they were selling 100% pure at the pharmacy as a health supplement.

It really has made a massive difference.

So far, while my male has been making bubble nests at night when all the lights are out, he paces during the day. He swims back and forth against the back of the aquarium, looping around the heater and occasionally panicking and flaring at his reflection. It was almost impossible to feed him because he wouldn't even notice me unless I shoved my finger into the tank in front of him. (And that didn't exactly tempt him to eat.) I figured it would get better as he became more accustomed to his new home.

So... Yesterday, after I got the tea, I dropped a bag into his tank. I left it in until I went to bed.

This morning his nightly bubble nest is a bit smaller, but he isn't pacing. He responded when I approached the tank, followed my finger above the water and happily ate. He seems to be comfortable resting anywhere in the tank now (before I only saw him rest hiding back below the heater.) He just seems to be a lot calmer and happier.

The female seemed scared of the tea bag at first and avoided the creeping darkening of the water... But she was also fine and happy today. She has always been relaxed and friendly though, so no big change in her behavior.

I am convinced that the tea is good.
I'm glad you've had such a positive response.

It is possible that your boy's bubble nest is ticker than it used to be? I never had a bubble nest until after adding the Rooibos. (Pronounced Roy-Boss according to one of the sites where I did my research)

After adding the Rooibos I got my first bubble nest and it was super thick! He maintained it for several days.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #17 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
I'm glad you've had such a positive response.

It is possible that your boy's bubble nest is ticker than it used to be? I never had a bubble nest until after adding the Rooibos. (Pronounced Roy-Boss according to one of the sites where I did my research)

After adding the Rooibos I got my first bubble nest and it was super thick! He maintained it for several days.
Nope, the nest is definitely much smaller. It is a pretty pathetic attempt at a nest compared to his others. I think that it is a combination of the leaf he was using for anchoring it sinking, and that he is actually exploring the tank now. Before he would pace and then stay in one corner all night (where he would blow the nest) - last night, he actually checked out the little cave and tunnel thing I have in there for him... So I think he was too busy to do a decent nest.

Oops on the spelling - for me here it is just written phonetically so I had no clue about the English spelling. I copied it straight from the title.

I am really happy with the effects and will probably put another bag in after the next big water change. It is clear that he feels a lot safer with the darker water. He is so much less jumpy and is actually swimming around the tank instead of pacing back and forth.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #18 
alleaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
SAY WHAAAAT!???!!

I am not sure about Canada but I know here in the US it is illegal for them to ship them in without the correct permits. They label the envelopes "Household Goods" or even "Soft Toys" to try to slip past customs. Sometimes they get through and other times the plants are destroyed with a threat sent to the buyer. It can result in serious fines.

They have excellent prices on the plants and they are great about refunds if your plants are confiscated or DoA but I don't like the intentional incorrect labeling to smuggle them in illegally.

*Edit* I just looked and Canda requires a phytosanitary certificate AND and plant protection import permit. If caught without the necessary documents, you can be charged with a $1300.00 fine and the seller gets off without having to pay anything.

Last edited by alleaa; 03-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.
alleaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #19 
OMGemily

[quote=sparkyjoe;1026995](Pronounced Roy-Boss according to one of the sites where I did my research)
quote]

i wasnt even close to right haha now i know :) sounds like the darker water is amazing for them though. im definitely gonna check out Amy Linn on eBay
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #20 
Laki

Oh boy... I would be so upset! The envelopes were labelled "gift".. Hm. Maybe I better re-think my purchases from now on! No wonder AquticMagic offers free shipping!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ial, indian almond leaves, rooibos, tea