Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 25 celcius
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
2-3 Omega Betta Buffet Pellets twice a day, 2 freeze-dried bloodworms in place of 1 meal once a week,

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner
my betta has been hiding in his castle ornament for the last couple of weeks coming out every so often but not eating and looks like he is losing color and has swollen belly i have had him for over a year and this only happened recently at first i thought it was old age, but now i am looking at all these posts and I am thinking it's a health problem
i have photos but I have them on my blackberry if there are any experts out there that can give me advice please send me an email and I will email the photos of Tropper right away luistacey@rogers.com
slui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Try turning your air stone off and see of hes hiding because of a strong current. Bettas dont really need aeration since they can use their labyrirh organs. Stop feeding him if his stomach is swollen. its easier for people to diagnose if you can somehow upload your pictures for all to see...

Im not too sure about 2.5 gal tanks but if its not cycled you definitely should change 100% water from time to time to prevent ammonia build up. If he's eating ant not moving, the lack of excercise could create health issues( just like in humans!)

does he poop regularly? try and make him flare to a mirror and that can help him pass poop.

25 is a little on the cool side, try around 28degrees to see if hell become a little more active. notch it up slowly, like 1 degrees a day
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #3 
slui

hi! i uploaded an album on here, and he's not hiding he has health problems
Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #4 
slui

he hasnt eaten and when he swims up he nose dives back down
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

You should lower the water level for him so that he can reach the surface with more ease. Place him in a shallower qt tank(large wide plastic tupperware containter will do). It sounds like an issue than began with constipation and evolved into bloat and swim bladder issues.

Try 1 tablespoon/gal epsom salt, keep his water params perfect and he had to be kept warm, like 82F or 28C.

Try and help him pass poop by either gettin him to flare. dont try to feed him at all until he is well again ( i know hes not eating, but dont give him food :) ) Swim bladder disease should be cured with the right water environment and if you help the fish along with passing his poop ( hence the epsom salt)
Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #6 
slui

thanks so much did you look at my album? i just tried to get him to flare but he didnt even respond to the mirror :(
Old 03-27-2012, 01:31 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

oh my he looks terrible. you really must give him a shallower tank. see if you can float him in a smaller container in his current tank so he can reach the surface with more ease and stay warm at the same time. try your best to make him comfortable... poor thing...try the epsom salt as soon as you can ... Im not knowledgeable about much else, see if you can message one of the older members like Oldfishlady. she will definately be able to diagnose the photos better. Although it is th early ams here right now, not sure if many are online.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
slui

i forgot to thank you for all your help, Trooper passed away 3 days after :( I was so sad, since I had all these supplies still i purchased a new crown tail who I have named "Fiesta" this crowntail is a baby fish but I still miss Trooper's personality, he was a good fish
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 
Tobythefish

Just so you know, in a two gallon you should do 2 changes a week, 1 50% and 1 100%. That will keep ammonia down. Sorry about Trooper, good luck with Fiesta! :)
Tobythefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

sorry to hear the bad news about trooper, I've pnly ever lost feeder minnows, but even they had their own loveable personalities by the time the died :( good luck with your new fish, I hope he will live a happy life in his 2.5gal :) post a picture for us! Im sure he will be a pampered happy fishie