Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #1 
Sandrilene

New fish not eating?

So my new heater hasn't come in yet but i put him in a larger container (by a little bit) and the heater should be here in the next 3 days (hopefully tomorrow). My new betta is putting the food in his mouth and then being sneaky and spitting it out later. The other betta loves his food and i feed them both the same pellets. What should I do if the new one isn`t really eating them? I thought he was because I observed him putting them in his mouth only to later discover them on the bottom of his container. Do they starve themselves if they don`t like the food??? I'm only feeding him the minimum amount on the bottle.
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #2 
Sandrilene

I gave him a blood worm which he litterally destroyed so i guess he approves of them. But I thought that was supose to be a weekly treat and not good to give them regularly? I just wanted to see if he would eat anything I had on hand for bettas to determine if he is not eating or fussy. If he doesn`t eat pellets what do i get? Or is he out of luck til he gets hungry enough to eat them? I'm not really sure how this part of it works. Of course I pick a fussy fish....
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

A lot of petshops around here feed only bloodworms in the shop to improve their colour and make them all feisty, or something silly like that. It could be that he simply isn't used to pellets yet.
I would suggest fasting him until he is ready to suck it up and try the pellets properly. :) Don't worry about him starving.

He may also be more willing to eat when his heater arrives. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 
Sandrilene

thanks for replying. i got the heater. he is still being stubborn... but so am i... for now. they were fed pellets in the store i went back and asked. stubborn fish!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 
Tisia

they might be a bit big. you could try crushing them up. you can also try soaking them in garlic and/or bloodworm juice
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #6 
Sandrilene

i might try crushing them tonight. he might like that. he does put them in his mouth and spit them out (then never puts them back in). that suggests he might want to eat them but not be happy with them for some reason. size could be it.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #7 
Sandrilene

question: why would this fish have the belly thing going on if it hasn`t eaten? Does that mean he is sick? Sorry i'm very new.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

What's the belly thing? Does he look fat?

He may have swimbladder or bloat. I'd take that over to the disease section to confirm, but I believe the treatment is epsom salt (I can't tell you how much though, I've never used it).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #9 
Sandrilene

yeah a bit. more then he did before.