Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #1 
LugiaChan

Lightbulb Non-toxic betta toys/hiding areas?

What are some good ideas for betta fish toys they'd love to play with that are absolutely harmless and non toxic for betta fish?

(I've tried searching this topic before and on youtube, it's a little difficult to find).

It'll be nice to include some ideas that are great for low income people too, not only myself. I plan on buying real plants and drift wood in the future- they're very hard to find locally so for now i'm wondering what I can do in the mean time.

I do prefer using real materials and I have aquarium sealant I can stick things together with. =) I'm an artist too, so anything that is perfectly non toxic will work for me (you can be creative, just check to be sure it's fine).

I have...

*stones outside (I want to know if these are safe, if they are would a 1:9 vinegar wash be acceptable? Should I detoxify them in water if so?)

*fake stones I glued together to form an open dragon's mouth I plan on working on to attach a body it can swim through*

*driftwood outside and beaches- the only problem is I keep doubting that letting it sit in water to detoxify it wont clean it fully or completely. I'm scared to do so.

*around the house stuff.

What chemicals should the items say on it for it to be safe?
*Is resin good? Any ideas on anything else? thank you, I like any and all ideas on this topic :) And your input helps!!

Last edited by LugiaChan; 03-27-2012 at 01:46 AM.
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Driftwood is debatable.. Some people say yay some nay.
I think baking driftwood at 400F for half an hour-an hour.. And then soaking it. Baking should kill any bacteria on the wood.. Some say boiling to remove tannins faster if you can manage that. Also I'd make sure there is no bark on the driftwood, bark can contain more tannins.. Driftwood is crazy expensive in stores.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #3 
Mo

Driftwood from a beach or any high content marine or other types of harmful salt deposited in any type of object can take a very long period of time to carefully and successfully remove these toxins. When taking into consideration baking and boiling can't remove a range of toxins, while it can affect certain bacterial, fungus, and a small amount of salt. But there are many unknown substances that can be contained within the wood such as decaying animals, pesticides, lots of salt, and many more. Taking into consideration you should ideally spend the extra bucks instead if risking your bettas life and potentially infecting your current tank.

When you are certain that the pice if wood that you have properly selected you should take a number if precautionary steps. One of which could be a process such as Olympia has previously suggested. Baking and boiling, along with hard cleaning can eliminate the common toxins found within decoration prices from a local store or a similar source

The source of the stones should depict if they are or are not safe to the proper aquarium use. When picking and selecting you should look for naturally formed river stones that usually are smoothed detoxified, and dont release a larger range of toxins. But even if you are close to certain that you have selected a safe piece a number if precautions still should be taken such as using a small vinegar treatments to see if it is harmful, you can do this by adding a small amount of vinegar and the rule of thumb is that if it fizzes it isn't safe.
I would recommend using hot water (not boiling though as it can blow up....literally) , soaking in water , and the vinegar test to safely use these certain prices such as river rocks
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #4 
samual989

U could use baby link a do's for a child type dragon body... Just a thought but don't be so scared to try the rocks just be careful with porous types or anything with a sheen.
samual989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh, unless you want a natural look, lol, a lot of people have had success building things with lego for the tank. You just need to weigh them down really well and seal off a lot of holes. A member on here has an awesome sorority living in a lego alien invasion playset :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Anything that floats generally becomes a toy or a nest anchor. I have styrofoam in all my tanks as well as duck weed. Some times I put lids or bubble wrap in them. Usually a nest pops up within a few days.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #7 
MadameDesu

I've had success with the ZooMed Leaf Hammock. Some people report that the metal stem rusts, but I haven't had that issue. Rosie loves hers!
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #8 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
I've had success with the ZooMed Leaf Hammock. Some people report that the metal stem rusts, but I haven't had that issue. Rosie loves hers!
Oh yes, I do have one :)
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #9 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Anything that floats generally becomes a toy or a nest anchor. I have styrofoam in all my tanks as well as duck weed. Some times I put lids or bubble wrap in them. Usually a nest pops up within a few days.
Styrofoam. Is it completely absolutely safe? How long have people been using it around here : are there any issues?

:) that's fantastic and what i'm looking for.... What other ideas would there be? I think I could create some fun things from styrofoam! I do have aquarium sealant as well so I can make fun shapes and weigh them down/glue rocks/stones on it (with my sealant).
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #10 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Oh, unless you want a natural look, lol, a lot of people have had success building things with lego for the tank. You just need to weigh them down really well and seal off a lot of holes. A member on here has an awesome sorority living in a lego alien invasion playset :p
Are you sure they're safe o_o? I heard of these rumors....

Also, why would ya need to seal off the holes on the leggo pieces? XD I dont feel fins could get in between them or inside of the holes..

Tags
custom, decoration, home made, toys