Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Legos are safe, I'd thoroughly wash them though.
You have to be super careful if you get a Lego play set and silicone off any holes once it's built. The member with the alien invasion sorority woke up to a girl inside the space ship. She has no idea how the girl got in there :p
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #12 
registereduser

I live where there is a lot of sagebrush. The wood is beautiful and would look great in a tank. Any opinions on it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bretedge/5135130088/
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #13 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugiaChan View Post
Styrofoam. Is it completely absolutely safe? How long have people been using it around here : are there any issues?

:) that's fantastic and what i'm looking for.... What other ideas would there be? I think I could create some fun things from styrofoam! I do have aquarium sealant as well so I can make fun shapes and weigh them down/glue rocks/stones on it (with my sealant).
I don't have experience using styrofoam, but i think it could cause issues. You, like those little bite-sized pieces falling off in the tank would NOT be good for fish tummies.
If you could find a way to prevent that, it could work, though.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I live where there is a lot of sagebrush. The wood is beautiful and would look great in a tank. Any opinions on it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bretedge/5135130088/

I think Mo on page 1 gave good idea about wood..i really would be scared to use it and then regret then i did it...

Also i want to write about stones and plants...

When i had my first betta i always brought white garden stones from outside. The one that people put for decoration outside around flowers. I wash them in very hot water then change the water let them soak for a few hrs …I even want to Home Depot and bought a bag of them . I used them and never had problem. Now I am buying river stones from pet stores. I just wash them in hot water and use them. But maybe I was just lucky so better be safe than sorry ….
So I guess if you want to disinfect then like Mo described disinfects stones in the vinegar. But how much of the vinegar ? I know from someone on this forum she does half of hot water and half of the vinegar. Then wash it very well especially if it has ridges and soak in the water and then air dry it…

If you buy hardy plants I would quarantine them before you put them in the tank, because they can carry disease. I personally recommend everyone to use spider plant. A lot of people have them , easy to grow,easy to care , stay long, bettas love them lol You can buy them in any floral department, even in Home depot.

But if you buy plants in the pet store I really suggest to quarantine them. One time I saw they sell them from the tank they had fish in. So put them in tap water NO conditioner, now wimpy plants may/will die so be warned! Someone had it with sword, wisteria and jave fern…wisteria died..the others lived. If you quarantine for2-3 or more weeks, the disease will die off. The thing ich,velvet,etc is it needs a host..no host,it eventually dies.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameDesu View Post
I don't have experience using styrofoam, but i think it could cause issues. You, like those little bite-sized pieces falling off in the tank would NOT be good for fish tummies.
If you could find a way to prevent that, it could work, though.

+1
Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

tank pic:

those are river stones i have in every tank...It not my tank though...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #17 
Sheldon31

I've got some polished decorative stones in my tank. I use them to weigh down my plants and arrange them so they look decorative aswell as being practical. I baught them from a charity shop, the lady who sold them me said she used them as decorative items on her window cill. I still have the ceramic dish they were in which will probably go back to the shop. I have a very large carved rock in the middle of my tank that came with it. My tetras love to swim through it and a couple of them rest in there. I love your ideas! I plan on switching my gravel out for a softer substrate soon for the sake of realism and my corydoras when I get them. Plant wise, I will never go back to fake or plastic plants again. Real are just perfect. For some reason all plastic plants have unrealistic colours on them which just take away from the look.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #18 
MadameDesu

I tried something fun that I had read in another betta entertainment thread.
I wrote and on Rosie's tank with a marker! Not much, just some stars, a boat, lots of bubbles. She seemed very intrigued by it all. Sometimes I'll catch her trying to attack the dot of the "i" where I wrote her name :D
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #19 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I personally recommend everyone to use spider plant. A lot of people have them , easy to grow,easy to care , stay long, bettas love them lol You can buy them in any floral department, even in Home depot.
you mean the house plant spider plant? Won't they rot underwater after awhile?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

yes. I am using them for i don't know long long time...may be for 2.5 years. It will rot just as other does. But it stay i think a lot of longer... Well at least the one that I boght before at the pet store died faster. And since i do 50% water changes and 100% water changes i always rinse with water everything in the tank so i always check the plant anyway. Not sure what people do if they don’t do 100% water changes. I don’t cycle my tanks so…but I would think any plant you always check , because it can rotten.

Also like i wrote that many plants from the store can carry disease and can get your fish sick so i think it very safe to use home plant. Also the spider plant shape of the leaves and color varys. And some of them very long ,and when i put it in the tank it stick out of the tank. I really love it. All my bettas loves it...I really recommending.

Tags
custom, decoration, home made, toys