Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #11 
SweetNightmare

I recently moved my guy into a ten gallon and he flares at the side a lot as well(plus at the mirror; he's next to my sink in my 'vanity' type area) but less so with each day, and he seems to be quite comfortable, resting on leaves, exploring all levels, and blowing a few bubbles even, though he's only just settling. Just give him time to adjust.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #12 
Jlbfish

See that might be sort of a problem :) It all started with a 2 gallon crabitat and a 3.5 gallon fish tank. Then the crabs needed a bigger one so I bought a 10 gallon and heat lamps and salt water bath extra shells etc and had to run out to set the 2 gallon up as an ISO tank so there is more money.

Then I decided I wanted a tank so we got a 28 gallon and stand off of craiglist.
Then my son who had his betta was wanting more fish (since his brother had more crabs) so we got him a 20 gallon and paid to get that all setup.

THEN I decided Picky (the betta) deserved to be spoiled and with all the fish coming into the house his 3.5 gallon would make a good hospital tank. etc...

I think my husband will have a heart attack if I go much further and I might have to call fish keepers anonymous.
Jlbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well if he never gets used to it, try putting a divider, 5 gallons for him and 5 for another betta ;)
Of course he still needs time.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #14 
Mo

Typically most Bettas have what I like to call specifically an adjustmeant period. In which bettas adjust to there new habitat and try to get used to the new surroundings. Most likely you are gong to encounter more seviere cases in which the habitats changes in a very pronounced way, such as as large amount of plants to a small amount of plants or a tiny to a substantially large aquarium, such as a 2.5 to a 30 gallon long when these types of changes occur, the bettas behaviour changes negatively. Sometimes resulting in a lower immune system which is the main factors of fateful diseases such as ich, fin rot, and fungal diseases.

My recommendation for treating this "side effect" which has no true treatment but has a few ways that can easily eradicate all symptoms of stress due to moving. Usually adding many hiding places along with plants will have a good, impact in it. Heating the water a bit higher, keeping the flow minimal, and keeping the water pristine. Along with closely representing the previous home as best as you have the ability to do.

Though sometimes you don't need to take any precautionary steps to emilinwting the side affects, and leaving the Betta for maybe a small amount of a time span along the lines of around 1-2 weeks can be a typical period to expect when it should go away

Last edited by Mo; 03-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #15 
Jlbfish

Ok I'll wait. I was thinking bout the divider and 2 betas in the 10 gallon. Putting plants around the dividers. I read that they could jump the dividers and I'm still a newb so I shied away from it :)

I'll see how he is doing when he is back on my desk etc...

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #16 
Jlbfish

I tried to just put his old stuff in but going from a 3.5 gallon bow to a 10 gallon was like moving from a closet to a warehouse. I added new plants and will see. I don't mind moving him back if he loved it. I miss his bubble nests and didn't mean to upset him. I probably should have listened to hubby and just left him alone.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #17 
Jlbfish

Ok I couldn't stand it anymore. Patience has never been my strong point and it looked ike he was getting some sort of stripes on his body. He hadn't settled down this am so I got him a marine land 5 gallon bow and he has been peacefully swimming since I put it in. He is also back where he used to be. I don't think he liked the kitchen at all. Thanks for the advice! The 10 gallon is going back. :)

But I now have a 3.5 gallon 'hospital tank' :)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #18 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlbfish View Post
Ok I couldn't stand it anymore. Patience has never been my strong point and it looked ike he was getting some sort of stripes on his body. He hadn't settled down this am so I got him a marine land 5 gallon bow and he has been peacefully swimming since I put it in. He is also back where he used to be. I don't think he liked the kitchen at all. Thanks for the advice! The 10 gallon is going back. :)

But I now have a 3.5 gallon 'hospital tank' :)

okay maybe he's a bit high strung. you should have waited though! maybe save the 10gal and introduce a new betta directly to it. it should adjust a lot faster.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

I know this is a bit late, but I have found that most bettas only freak out in larger spaces because they are open. With dense planting and decoration (and I mean really dense) they will adjust to the new space no problem. As they get more confident, you can gradually thin out the decor. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote