Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 
Shadyr

A divided tank question, and snails?

I had (a series of) bettas growing up, and the recent purchase of a pair of two gallon tanks and a betta each for my kids made me realize that I miss having them. And that I've probably forgotten everything I ever knew about fish care. So like any good impulse shopper, I was looking at the bettas at the petstore and found not one but two that really caught my eye and didn't want to leave without them. A fiesty maroon with lovely clear fins (standard betta? See icon) and according to his cup, a white/iridescent crowntail with maroon bands on his fins.

I let myself be talked into a divided tank, and here is the question. The divider is not solid - I'm guessing to allow water circulation. It also allows them to see each other. The crowntail (Ghost) seems like he could care less about the occupant of the other side of the tank. The red seems to spend all his time flaring at the crowntail, to the point where he seems to ignore his food (which the crowntail is happy to eat if Red's swishing happens to swirl it through a opening to his side). I've only had them a couple of days...will Red eat when he feels like it/gets bored puffing out at his indifferent tankmate? (Side note, will Ghost stop eating when full, or will they gorge if allowed?)

And a last quick question, when at the store that day, the kids asked for a snail to go in their tanks. Would putting a (I believe they were "apple") snail in the tanks be detrimental to either creature, the betta or the snail?

Thanks
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome back to the awesome hobby of fish keeping.....

To understand-this is a 2gal divided tank with 2 males...correct....

While that is not ideal-it can work...have a few question to better answer your questions.....heater, thermometer, water temp, filter, any live plants, planed water change schedule, type of additives used, how long have you had them.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

I would definitely say no to the snail. A 2 gallon with 2 bettas is already heavily stocked. Snails have a huge bioload, so adding one wouldn't be a good idea.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #4 
Wolfboy51

I wouldnt add a snail they poo a lot aswell as having a big
Bioload.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

That's kind of what bioload is, Wolfie - how much waste they produce.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #6 
Wolfboy51

Oh lol, im still kinda new to all this XD,
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #7 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome back to the awesome hobby of fish keeping.....

To understand-this is a 2gal divided tank with 2 males...correct....

While that is not ideal-it can work...have a few question to better answer your questions.....heater, thermometer, water temp, filter, any live plants, planed water change schedule, type of additives used, how long have you had them.....
The snails would be for my kids - they have each a 2 gallon tank with 1 betta, a 10W submersible heater, standard thermometer, passive undergravel filter, a couple of live plants. Currently changing about half the water weekly in those. Have had these tanks for about 3 weeks.

The divided tank is a 2.5 gallon mini-bow, several live plants, the same 10W submersible heater, a powered filter that I'm actually leaving off because the flow is too much (I turned it on and poor Ghost was obviously having to fight the flow it created). No snails here. I've had this tank since Sunday. (Was thinking I might turn on the filter briefly and under supervision for a bit after making water changes?). I'm planning on doing about 3/4 gallon 2x a week on this one.

In each case, I treat the water with QuickStart and Stresscoat and allow it to sit a bit to normalize on temperature before changing out.

Starting to wonder if it's a personality thing. 4 bettas between us, 4 distinct personalities already emerging!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Okay....it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things-

In the 2gal with a single Betta-IMO adding a snail would be fine-while they do poop a lot-it breaks down a lot faster than Betta poop-plus you have live plants-what species are the plants-with UGF you don't want to plant anything in the substrate or it can cause the UGF to not function proper...depending on plant species and growth state-1-2 weekly 50% with deep vacuum may be enough to maintain water quality-with UGF its important to keep the plates clean and free of too much mulm/debris buildup.

On the 2.5 gal divided with 2 Bettas and shrimp-either remove the filter all together or leave it running all the time-reason-after about 6 hours any bacteria will start to die-the byproduct produced is ammonia and every time you turn the filter back on you may be flooding the tank with ammonia-
IMO/E filters are optional for this species-plus you have live plants and they can help with water quality issues....depending on number, species and growth state I would recommend twice weekly water changes of 50%-you really don't need 100% when you have active growing live plants-but making 100% every month or so won't hurt either since its a small tank with 2 fish.

This species does have unique personalities all their own.....hope to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #9 
Zero186

I have the mini-bow 2.5 for my betta and he really likes the tank. The filter that comes with it I do not use, not worth using in it IMO. Also with that tank replacing the bulb with a CFL Bulb will make the color look better also make it able to house about any plant.

I bought the undivided one but if your having issues with the bettas seeing each other and always flaring it might need to be replaced with something a little less see through. I have Also heard of bettas getting past the divider so keep and eye out and make sure there isn't any room for them to slide past.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 
Shadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
This species does have unique personalities all their own.....hope to see some pics.....
This is Ghost:

Name:  ghost.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  55.9 KB

That's Red in my user icon, but I he won't stay still(ish) long enough for me to get a decent close up. He's my wiggly boy.

Not sure of their official coloration and type, other than "Pretty"

I will look into a CFL bulb for the hood....

Red seems a little more zen today, still active and patroling the divider, but not getting himself worked up into a lather about Ghost. And for his part, the only thing Ghost seems to find interesting on the other side of the divider is Red's food.