Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
ninjaofthe9seas

Multiple small tanks

Is there a way to set up a series of smaller tanks, like 2.5 gals to one filter system?
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd be wary of this, if one fish got sick you could spread it to all your tanks..
I think if you made a sump filter, I think it's called, you would be able to do this.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

You could safely use sponge filters in all of them with one large air pump-airline tubing spliced together with a multi check valve or scrap the filters and add live plants....I don't like to use filtration or have any water movement in my Betta tanks 10gal and smaller...just lots of plants.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

To save on heating costs, best way to do it is to make a drip system running off a main sump. That way you provide your betta with cycled, heated water on a constant basis.

Heaps of DIY videos on Youtube showing you how it's done. It looks complicated but it's mostly just finding the right parts and sealing it correctly.

It is rare for there to be an outbreak of disease such as velvet or columnaris in any tank unless something has either not be quarantined properly, there has been an extreme temperature fluctuation, or your water parameters are not ideal.

If one fish does get sick though, treat the WHOLE system not just the one fish as this is where you will lose them. Because the water is shared, every single betta has been potentially exposed, so you have to treat them all.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 
ninjaofthe9seas

Alright, thanks so much! I was talking with a friend about maybe getting a bunch of bettas when we get an apartment, and was thinking it may be cheaper to do one filter system instead of buying multiple single filters. :D I will look into more, thanks again. :3
Old 03-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I believe you could also have all the 2.5's cycled this way, and reduce water changes, depending on the size of the sump..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Someone locally has divided 5g tanks, all in a row with a system to filter and add water to them all. Very neat!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #8 
ninjaofthe9seas

oh yeah i didnt really think of that... i could maybe get a longer 10gal and divide it... :3