Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #1 
littlegreen

Substrate cleaning question!

Hello, everyone! I bought my betta little irresponsibly, but within two weeks of buying him, he had a 3 gallon heated, filtered palace with adequate water changes. However, substrate cleaning never popped into my mind!

What I've been doing is using just a bit of small tubing every few days and getting out a lot of the crud, because I don't have anything more powerful to use. Is that adequate or do I need to go buy something more efficient? Thank you so much!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum and betta-keeping! You sound like you are off to a great start!!

I've use a turkey baster to spot clean small tanks before. It works very well for getting up poop balls and isn't very invasive at all. A lot of us use gravel vacuums which can be commonly found at most pet stores. I would get a smaller one. The larger ones can drain a small tank in a matter of minutes. They can also suck up small fish! Something like this Top FinŽ Aquarium Gravel Vacuum - Aquarium Maintenance - Fish - PetSmart would work great.

We use it at water change time to suck out the yuckies in the substrate and change water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think I have the smallest top fin gravel vacuum, and it barely picks up old food or poo, or hornwort leaves which I have quite a lot of. Also if you don't keep it at a 45 degree angle it starts to lose suction very fast. I'm in desperate need of a new one (it did only cost me $3 lol). I'd say get a slightly larger one..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Haha! I must have some really old siphons. It looks like they have changed since I bought mine. It was the smallest available at the time and still drains pretty fast. I've also got a huge python water vac that can hold about 5 gallons of water in the tube alone.

And as always, check on the return/exchange policy!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Lucky. So many aquarium products just seem so cheap and poorly made these days. I've heard most Fluval brand products work pretty decent, though they cost slightly more.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

You can also make your own gravel vacuum, if you are feeling creative, using a bit of siphon hose and a soda bottle.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote