Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 
SCSUfishguy

Betta breeding dilema

So I have decided to take up breeding bettas, not that my wallet already despises me enough for my other aquatic hobbies

So I have a bit of a dilemma.... or I think anyway. First I will give you all an overview of what I have set up. I have a ten gallon tank filled half way. On one end is a "critter keeper" with the female inside (this is in place of the glass chimmney that most people suggest using. In the middle is the heater, and spread throughout are some artificial plants for cover. Obviously, this is where the male is. Now, I did not initially buy a filter, because I was going to make my way over to the store and buy a fluval nano filter for the job. I thought this would be a good one because of the adjustible flow rate.

Anyway, days one and two, the male showed extreme interest in the female, charging at critter keeper, quickly stopping, and flaring and showing a beautiful fin display. He will frequently flair for her and follows her around the outside of the keeper. (Btw, I have been feeding both of them pellets and frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp to prep them, and I have a microworm culture on the way for the fry).

On the morning of day three, I decided to go and get that filter. Upon my return, I had found that my don juan of a male had blown a bubble nest! So question, I know that I will need a filter to help with the loads of waste that the fry will produce, but should I hold off on putting it in right now? I feel like my digging around in the tank and getting the correct flow adjusted might disturb the nest too much. Should I wait until fry are present to put a filter in?

One more thing, I have a newb question. Even though he blew a nest, it doesn't mean she is ready, right? She is not showing any vertical bars on her, however she is such a deep purple color that I might not even be able to tell. I guess I don't know how to tell that well, and I don't want to take her out and put her with the male if she is just going to get beaten up for nothing.
Thanks!
SCSUfishguy
SCSUfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

No filters at all would be your best bet. It's too much of a chance for your male and the nest.

Put that filter in your grow out. I've used filters in spawn tanks before but with me changing 90% every to every few days it was pointless.

Also fry would be stressed through the cycling process. Just clean the tank often :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #3 
SCSUfishguy

Okay, that's what I was thinking. I also read in a sticky post that there is supposed to be an anchor for the nest, like a plastic lid or something. Is the point so that they build under that? if that's the case, should I just leave it alone, or try delicately placing something over the nest?
SCSUfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I like to place something in there for them. It can be a lid, or bubble wrap, or styrofoam. Since they haven't spawned I'd go ahead and put something over it and then let him get used to it,
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote