Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #1 
Soccerkon26

Exclamation Please Help! Betta Out of Water! :( Still Breathing!

My idiot niece wanted to "pet" my fish and took him out of the water. I'm not sure for how long. He is still breathing. Is there anything I can do to help him? I'll do anything.
Soccerkon26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2 
DoberMom

good luck to you and ur fish
DoberMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
brettwashere

Just had a fish out of water experience. If hes back in the tank and breathing,its a good sign. My fish hung around the bottom of the tank for about a day, seemed stressed. Day 2 I tempted him up with some food. I believe if he/she didn't dry out and survives the initial shpck it should be ok. Clean conditioned water at appropriate temp will help recovery. Maybe some one else has something more to add. Maybe something to help replace slime coat lost due to petting.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #4 
Laki

As long as he's in water now he should be okay. Does he have stress stripes? Try adding a bit of slime coat. Or if you have aq salt, mix up a diluted formula for him.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #5 
Crazykat

Keep his water warm with a heater, add some aquarium salt if you have it (1tsp/gallon). If he's having trouble making it to the surface of the water, lower the water so it's easier for him. If he seems stressed, lower the lights, or cover his tank with a towel. Bettas are pretty tough; he has a fighting chance.

I'm sorry about your fish, but if your niece is young, she may not understand that fish need to stay in the water and aren't really for petting. Disney has kind of warped childrens' image of fish. Try to go easy on her?
Crazykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

The great thing about bettas... they breathe air! As long as a betta is wet they'll survive. I lost two because they jumped and didn't remain wet...

Bettas can stay out of water for up to five hours as long as they're damp. Pretty neat huh?

But to help your poor boy... get out of the room. Avoid being around him other than slight check ups for a few hours. He needs to relax and recover.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #7 
IndeedPanda

The second fish I ever owned jumped out of his tank and landed on the floor. I dunno how long he was there, but he was dry and covered with junk from the floor and I only noticed him because I stopped to talk to someone... grabbed him, put him back in the tank and dimmed the lights. He lived to jump again... and again... He was a jumper and I was stupid and bought a small lidless 'betta' tank that the pet store said was perfect. I put a lid on it after the first jump, but every time I took that lid off to change the water, out he'd go. He lived 8 months after jumping. It is traumatic for them, but some do make it. I didn't know what to do for him and just added stress coat to the water.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Does he have rapid gill movement or anything? keep him in a dark, quite place for a day or so. He may just need some time to recover
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote