Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1 
inareverie85

What tank are you using?

So, here's the backstory.

I currently have 12 bettas. :)

One is in a 27g tank with small, peaceful threadfin rainbowfish. One is in a 15g with furcatas. One is in an 8g with snails only (since he doesn't like to play nicely with others).

After these fellas, I am currently keeping the rest of my bettas in medium and large petkeepers. The mediums are about 1.75 gallons, and the larges are about 3 gallons. The gallon rating is true, as I'm keeping them barebottom for easier cleaning and food/poop monitoring.

I do, however, want to give my fish nicer homes, a little at a time. The petkeepers are nice and rimless, which I like, but I hate that they have no lighting and, if I want the top on, I can't use a filter. I know bettas don't need filters, but I'd like to use them in at least the 3 gallon setups.

Anyho, I bought my king betta a new 5g home here: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754150

I'd like to buy nice-looking homes like this for my others, one at a time. Thing is, I can't spend that sort of money on each fish, especially since I have to buy lighting, a new heater, and filtration all separately for that tank. When I'm done, my king's home will have cost around $70-80 if I give him hiding places.

So I am wondering what tanks you use for your bettas. Do you use custom acrylic cubes? I'd love to get some of these, but it's so hard to find them in the proper size and for a decent price. Please share with me the tanks that you like or use so that I can weigh my options! I've exhausted petsmart, petco, and marinedepot's websites. It's hard to find exactly what I'm looking for, so here's my list:

I'd like the tanks to be at least 2-3 gallons each.
I'd like them to have shapes where I can see my fish well (ie. no circular tanks)
If lighting were included, that would be nice :)
I prefer rimless setups.
If there are tops on these tanks, I'd like for there to be proper breathing holes and holes to run heater lines through and such.
If the tank comes with a filter, I'd like the filter to either be appropriate for a betta's needs or to have an adjustable flowrate.

Id love to get several of the 4 gallon Aqueon Evolves (since it seems to fit most of my list), but they're rather expensive.. I'd have to get them slowly. I also hear that the powerhead on the filter is VERY strong and that a betta would not be happy in that tank. If I bought these AND had to buy weaker powerheads, well, that just wouldn't work for me financially.

My bettas are not in a huge rush to get new homes since the smallest tanks I have currently are nearly 2 gallons. I mostly just wanted nicer-looking tanks so that I can display my bettas throughout the house rather than just sticking them all in my office. :P

So, what do you use to house your bettas??

Last edited by inareverie85; 03-27-2012 at 01:43 PM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Aqueon Mini-Bow 5 Gallon. I have one, it's very good quality. The filter current is VERY strong, so a baffle would be a must.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 
inareverie85

Could you explain to me what a "baffle" is?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 
registereduser

I have the Aqua-Tech 5 gallon glass kit which comes with everything except heater/thermometer and decor. Got it at walmart for under $30 The filter is easily baffled.

It does have the black plastic frame.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by inareverie85 View Post
Could you explain to me what a "baffle" is?
A baffle makes the filter current less strong.
Here is the sticky on how to make one:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #6 
inareverie85

I'm also thinking of these:
http://www.jmkdisplays.com/tanks.html

The 20" long divided tanks seem nice, and I can get then taller and deeper for more gallons per tank. That's about 60 bucks per tank, 20 per fish, and I can probably get away with having two small heaters (or one large one) and two small filters to keep the water flowing on both sides.

It's something to think about anyway.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #7 
SweetNightmare

For that money, you could just go buy a few twenty gallon longs and the materials to make separators, like craft mesh. That way the water could flow between the different sections and you could most definitely just have one twenty gallon appropriate filter and heater for each tank used.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #8 
inareverie85

Yes, the problem with typical 20g longs is that the sealant work and rims bother me. If the tank is that ugly, I'd rather just get all my betta's 3g petkeepers. :( At least the petkeepers look nicer.

Plus, Im not sure I'd want a single filter in a 20g long. Would rather get two smaller filters on each a side. The one betta closest to the filter would be rather miserable, I imagine. My current 15g has two filters, and I like how that works a lot better.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Can you post photos of your 15 and 27 gallons? :D
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #10 
inareverie85

Id be happy to, but it'll have to be in a few hours when my camera is charged :) I always leave it on. ~_~