Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 
Bonbonisbff

Exclamation Help with injured female betta!

Okay, I came home from school yesterday to find that one of my girl bettas had ALOT of her bottom fin torn/chewed/ripped off. It looked so horrible, so I put some AQ salt and made sure she was eating. Everything was going well, and aside from the fins she was 100% healthy. Today, near the bottom of her body on both sides is this white/clear stuff. I think some of her scales are missing. i can't get a clear picture of it, but I don't think its Ich or velvet. What should I do?? Today she looks miserable and has clamped fins. She lives in a 20 gallon sorority with 7 other girls and 6 neon tetras. The temperature is at a steady 79-81*F.
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 
Silverfang

There are three options, two of which are bad, one of which is regrowth (Which if you see on the body is not so likely).

Excess slime coat is one possibility, and is the least frightening option. The others are columnarious or fungus. Both thrive at warmer temps, and can be fatal in a very short time frame. For both treat with AQ salt. I would suggest you QT her, as they can be extremely contagious. 1 tsp/gal is a safe dosage to start her treatment with. Depending on which disease you may need to raise it to 3 tsp/gal. A picture would really help.

IF you could fill out the form here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 we will have a better background as to what is going on.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 
Bonbonisbff

I can't get a clear picture. I will try though. she is in a QT 2 gallon tank for now.
What size is your tank? 20 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-81*
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 7 other female bettas, 6 neon tetras, and 4 albino cories.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bio gold hikari, occasionally frozen bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime, sometimes Betta Safe,

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
All of them are 100% safe and normal. I tested today but I can't remember the parameters.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Her bottom fins are mostly gone, some of her scales on the back/both sides of her are gone.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She clamps her fins every once in a while
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: 2 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Just with some AQ salt and water changes.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)?: I get her 2 months ago. I'm guessing she's around 1 year old.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 
Bonbonisbff

Sadly Medusa passed away yesterday. The disease was for sure columnaris. I'm treating the other tank for it at the moment with AQ salt and Maracyn. Hopefully everything gets better...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Are you using maracyn or maracyn 2? Maracyn by itself won't treat columnaris. It works on gram positive bacteria but columnaris is a gram negative so you would need maracyn 2.

I have also heard maracyn 2 is less effective is your water is too hard? I dont know if its true or not though

poor medusa
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote