Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #1 
Betta16

Unhappy VT Never Forget

Iv found out that people are saying that the VTs are not worth breeding. I have to say it makes me a litle sad. I hear that in the US the IBC dosent even have a place for them (have not confermd that just what iv heard).
I understand that the VTs are at every pet store and everyone has them but I mean come on, They are such a big part of The Betta story its a shame to see them cast out. 99% of the pet store VTs are not that grate any way. over seas the VT still has a place in show and is still seen as a important part of things. they my be easyer to breed then the HMs but it still takes time, skill and lots of hard work to breed VTs with perfect coloor and fins.

Sorry dindnt mean to make this a rant, I just hate to see such a big part of history get for gotten. so pls the next time you find your self at a Betta show remeamber to pay respect to all the fin typs after all we would never of gotten the HM or CT if not for the VT, just as the VT would not be here with out the P.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #2 
freemike

I can't believe that they don't have a place for them. They may be the most common, but IMO they are a staple breed of this species.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #3 
Laki

Aw :( What's wrong with VT?!?!? I mean, yes, they are in every store on every shelf. They're the last to get chosen over CT (the only 2 kinds available here). Such a sin. I love VT's. I agree, they are an important part of history. I love the long flowing tail, and prefer it to double tails and heavier finnage which weigh the fish down. IMHO those are the breeds which should be monitered since some fish die unable to swim.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 
lvandert

I love my VT's and tried spawning them for my first go. It didn't succeed but regardless, their still beautiful fish that people enjoy.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

They are a thing of the past so to speak. Also the US shows have no standard for them so it would hard to judge them.

I love VTs but unless I can find some nice stock available I wont breed them.

IMO nothing is cooler than a planted tank with a bright red VT swimming around.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

Alot of mine were VT's from walmart. I like the longer finned ones like HM and VT better then HMPK and CT. However trying to find a non red, non VT female to spawn with is kinda hard. I loves my llittle red girl but I don't want red offspring.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I am working on a VT standard with another breeder. She already has a male picked out to spawn. I couldn't find any when I went to look.

Basically we want to create a pure line of VTs and then see if they spark any interest.

Although there is no official show class for them they can be shown in the Pet and Variations class.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #8 
Betta16

"However trying to find a non red, non VT female to spawn with is kinda hard"

Thats a sad fact but only shows why more good breeders need to take a look at the VTs, to try and rebuild the genetics of this once great breed.

"They are a thing of the past so to speak. Also the US shows have no standard for them so it would hard to judge them."

If they have a standard over seas then it would not be to hard to put the same standard here in the states. we still have a place for the PK and they are almost as common as the VT breeders just took a stand and worked on keeping there PK better then pet store fish farms.

I love all betta typs and i would hate to see any breed be forgoten.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #9 
Laki

I know here, all the VT's are mostly blues and reds. Pure reds go first, the last to ever be sold are blues with the black heads. You get your random shipment of multi's and even more rarer are butterfly's but I think people are just more interested in more unique coloring. My mom has a purple/lavender dalmatian VT. o.o
If breeders could stop breeding so many blues and reds I think more interest would spark for VT. It's sad to say, heck- my Lakitu was blue/black!! He was awesome! And big, I really like the VT's who get shipped in from Singapore at one LPs. Ludendorff is also quite big.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #10 
Betta16

My Draco who i had when i was in my teens was all green, sadly i was not ablue to get him a mate but breeding more true colors is the way to go i agree with you on that Laki. if more breeders put out VTs in green, red, orange, and other more intens colors things could turn around for the VT. Me and my Mate are getting back into breeding and i think im going to start a Green line of VTs ill keep you posted when i get it up and going. I was going to do black HM but I feel a deep need to work with a VT line now.