Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #11 
Sivan

The way I understand it is that VT bettas (which in my head I KNOW means veil-tail but I always think Vermont) are regarded like mutts. Everyone loves them, everyone has one, but nobody recognizes them as a breed.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #12 
Betta16

Thats True Sivan, but at one time the PK were seen as mutts in parts of the world and look at them now. The reason the PK made it passed the bad rap was becouse breeders took the time and work to breed PKs that where a cut abouve the pet farms mutts.
Betta16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #13 
MrVampire181

So it looks like I'm dedicating some time to VTs... I have a couple extra tubs lying around so it'll be no problem. Plus with summer coming I'll just throw them in my kiddy pools out doors. I'll start with fins first then work on adding color with the fish from my new pairs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
The way I understand it is that VT bettas (which in my head I KNOW means veil-tail but I always think Vermont) are regarded like mutts. Everyone loves them, everyone has one, but nobody recognizes them as a breed.
You see Vermont. I see Virginia Tech.

I don't mean to pick on the OP, but being a Virginia Tech alumni I see the title in bad taste. I originally clicked it thinking it was about the upcoming anniversary. I was there on April 16th when the shootings happened. I was visiting the campus in preparation for my coming freshman year. I don't know if you were trying to reference the event or rally support like that which was shown at Virginia Tech, but I still think it is in bad taste. The murder of 32 people is on a totally different level than the decline of a breed of betta. I'm sorry if I seem like I'm going off, but it's different when you're there. Walking by the building, walking by the memorial where parents are openly grieving, seeing the gunshot holes in the windows.

To the subject at hand, while I do love halfmoons and HMPK's and dragonscales and deltas, veiltails carry a great nostalgia for me. My first betta was a blue veiltail from walmart. I had him with me at college. The first is always special. And I've always dreamed of owning a pure red veiltail. I think they look so gorgeous in a planted tank against a black background. MrVampire, if you can get some pure red ones I'd love to look into buying some!

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 03-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

I really don't think OP was trying to be disrespectful. I'm kinda feeling like this may be something on your mind, so you may be seeing it in places when it's really not there?

VT is my favorite tail type. I currently have 3 male CTs, 1 female HM, and 6 female/7 male VTs. Although it's the main type of Betta you can get here, with other types being rare, it doesn't effect my choice. I have taken VTs come instead of DT or HM :) I wish there was a standard for them, or at least that they would be looked at as competitive option. Would love to see your VT spawns MrV!

My last and final wish for a Betta was a pure red VT, with those little white tips on the ventrals. I was able to finally get him about 2 weeks ago, since I saw one that was in need of help :) When I started with Bettas, the last thing I wanted was a red VT. Boy, things change.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 03-28-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #16 
LionCalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
So it looks like I'm dedicating some time to VTs... I have a couple extra tubs lying around so it'll be no problem. Plus with summer coming I'll just throw them in my kiddy pools out doors. I'll start with fins first then work on adding color with the fish from my new pairs.
This is awesome! I will be very interested in getting one from you too. It would be great if more good breeders like you were open to improving VTs for the better, instead of writing them off.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I really don't think OP was trying to be disrespectful. I'm kinda feeling like this may be something on your mind, so you may be seeing it in places when it's really not there?
I undestand that is is on my mind, but google "VT never forget." The first thing that comes up is the Virginia Tech remembrance website. I can't remember how many times I saw "neVer forgeT" posted around campus and town. It's a pretty obvious reference which I find in poor taste.

Anyway. That's my little rant. I don't mean to derail the thread.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 03-29-2012 at 12:45 AM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #18 
inareverie85

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I undestand that is is on my mind, but google "VT never forget." The first thing that comes up is the Virginia Tech remembrance website. I can't remember how many times I saw "Never Forget" posted around campus and town. It's a pretty obvious reference which I find in poor taste.

Anyway. That's my little rant. I don't mean to derail the thread.
I think the use of the phrase is pure coincidence and wasn't really an "obvious reference". From what I gather, the "Never Forget" bit is a plea asking hobbyists to always remember where their beautiful bettas come from, as veiltails were an important part of breeding these other fin types.

Really, this thread has nothing to do with Virginia Tech, and I find it strange that someone would assume the reference is even there. I'm sorry for the troubles you must have experienced due to this, and I am sure that we all wish to be sensitive toward the tragic, traumatic event, but this issue was virtually non-existant within this thread until you brought it up.

Anyway, I am really happy that some of you are working on VTs :) One of my LFS gets locally-bred VTs regularly. There's been a yellow-finned dragonscale VT there for a while. I may go back there and pick him up if he's still there. :o
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #19 
Laki

Agreed. VT will have its connotations anywhere. To me it is Veiltail's acronym. I understand the tragedy of the school shooting and I'm sure its exceptionally traumatic for anybody there but even people who live in Vermont see VT as veiltail around here :)

It was not the OP's intention to offend anybody.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

Also I know of one breeder who breeds VTs into her HM line. It only takes a few generations to get back to HM. She does it to introduce their strong genes (pond bred, survival of the fittest). So they are being bred in small amounts by breeders but nothing like HMs or DTs or HMPKs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote