Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? about 82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets ( not sure brand dont have the package
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets a day, freeze dry blood worms replacing the pellets on weds and friday.(upped his protien to help regrow his tail) fast on thursday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly 100%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?prime seachem

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Havent tested .. just changed the water yesterday or the day before.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? looks fine , might be a bit swollen on his abdomen bright colours
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? occasional clamped fins.. sometimes he has them clamped sometimes he doesn't when he has the clamped fins he stays really still. otherwise swimming normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday after his change but assumed it was just stress from the change. But he is still doing it so it has to be something else.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I havent.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He just got over fin rot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from the pet store in early december. He was pretty small when I got him . has grown considerably

I am thinking maybe he is constipated... I know crown tails are more effected by this.. should I fast him for a few days?

I swear he just got over his fin rot. its like one thing after another with this guy.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #2 
frazier71

I agree sounds like constipation. Try fasting him for a few days to see if it helps. Mine got constipated and got better after a few days. If it gets worse epsom salt baths help. Also skipping a day of feeding per week helps clear their system
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 AM   #3 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
I agree sounds like constipation. Try fasting him for a few days to see if it helps. Mine got constipated and got better after a few days. If it gets worse epsom salt baths help. Also skipping a day of feeding per week helps clear their system
okay I will fast to see if he gets better. and yea I do skip thursdays ( his fast day) maybe I should do 2 fast days a week instead in the future? or maybe less blood worms in the future?

Anyways I will just start with this fast to see if he gets better. fingers crossed.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #4 
frazier71

If the blood worms are freeze dried id cut it down or soak them before feeding
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #5 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier71 View Post
If the blood worms are freeze dried id cut it down or soak them before feeding
okay I will probably do both. one day of blood worms one day of fasting the rest just the 3 pellets. It was probably the blood worms that caused it. i didnt know I had to soak them and was jsut feedingt hem as is. The more ya know thoguh.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #6 
Laki

I find my crowntail Bowser bloats easier than Ludey and my old VT Lakitu. I think it's something to do with the type. I heard that on another forum (which is so dead tumbleweeds avoid it now) so I don't know if that is true. I noticed it on my CT and so he gets less food than my VT :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #7 
bettanova2

Maybe your betta is stress. There are many reasons, I can see that the water changes of 100% every week is quite harsh for your betta to adapt. If decided 100% changes, then the previous pH level in the aquarium got to be as near as the tap water (otherwise the fish will struggle).
There is also the water conditioner in the market that can be used to reduce stress and provide protective slime coat to the fish when the changes is done.

Sometimes the bettas also need to see their reflections in the mirror to open their fins for a few seconds. That can make him more active rather than passive. He will also open its fins when he sees another betta close to him. I do it 3-4 times a week.
bettanova2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettanova2 View Post
Maybe your betta is stress. There are many reasons, I can see that the water changes of 100% every week is quite harsh for your betta to adapt. If decided 100% changes, then the previous pH level in the aquarium got to be as near as the tap water (otherwise the fish will struggle).
There is also the water conditioner in the market that can be used to reduce stress and provide protective slime coat to the fish when the changes is done.

Sometimes the bettas also need to see their reflections in the mirror to open their fins for a few seconds. That can make him more active rather than passive. He will also open its fins when he sees another betta close to him. I do it 3-4 times a week.
Well this is the first time it has happened, and every water change I properly acclimate him so it shouldn't be too shocking and I use the same water source so the ph should be the same. I do the mirror thing a few times a week as well he loves flaring for the intruder . and oddly enough he is very active he will swim around but then just stop and clam and sit there for a while then notice something else and off he goes again. At any rate I cant do anything about the 100% since he is in such a small unfiltered tank. Once his 6 gal cycles he won't have to do that anymore.

I will try to fast him a few days and see what happens.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #9 
Laki

Oh wait, I read that wrong. I thought it was definitely bloat.

When I brought Ludendorff he was clamped and lethargic for about a month. What I did was clean his tank every 2 days and kept the water very warm and low so it wouldn't freak him out to be swimming around in a large area (he seemed to appreciate it). He was on a 10 day on/ 7 day off cycle for salt water treatment and 100% always had extra IAL.
But he was eating everyday, OmegaOne pellets and frozen bloodworms. Then after a month he came around!! Just be patient!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #10 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Oh wait, I read that wrong. I thought it was definitely bloat.

When I brought Ludendorff he was clamped and lethargic for about a month. What I did was clean his tank every 2 days and kept the water very warm and low so it wouldn't freak him out to be swimming around in a large area (he seemed to appreciate it). He was on a 10 day on/ 7 day off cycle for salt water treatment and 100% always had extra IAL.
But he was eating everyday, OmegaOne pellets and frozen bloodworms. Then after a month he came around!! Just be patient!
I've had him since the beginning of december though. I dont think its cause he is new.. its a sudden clamping not like he had been doing this a long time, that's why I am concerned.