Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #1 
Awed

Popeye and treatment?

Hi,

I'm sure there are lots of threads about popeye treatment but I wanted to include a pic too to see if you agree that's what this is.

http://imgur.com/sUeut

He's had this eye for a couple of months. I just did a major tank cleaning followed by a daily 1/3 water change for the last five days, but his eye is still like this. Time for antibiotics? Is there an agreed-on type? Best to isolate him for treatment?

He's in a 10 gallon tank with a bunch of tiny snails and two apple snails.
Awed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 
Roemgie

How is he now?
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #3 
Awed

Well, I did a double treatment of antibiotics, but it didn't change anything. He is still alive and kicking. His eye is still popped looking. He doesn't seem to be able to see out of it well. He seems pretty healthy. I do think he could use some more tank action. It's just him and a bunch of snails.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 
Myates

If not treated quickly, can cause blindness and permanent damage.. it may be that since he's been like that for a couple months untreated.

Could try Epsom salt - to get the swelling down - 2tsp per gallon (dissolve before use), daily 100% water changes and see how he does in a week.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #5 
Awed

Please note that this first happened nearly exactly a year ago. Thanks for the suggestion, Myates. I do wonder if there are dangers with Epsom salts though (but I trust that you have looked that up). I did try a little aquarium salt at some point, only to realize as I was doing it that my snails (pond and apple) probably don't like salt. I quickly diluted it (and still had my apple snails).
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 
Myates

Epsom will remove excess fluid build up - Epsom is one of the safest, more gentle of the salts and they can live in it indefinitely - safe for plants, etc as well.

It helps us people too with bruising and fluid build up :)

So Epsom should help with the fluid build up, but if it continues then I would look into API General Cure or the Maracyn prodtucts.. popeye usually happens due to bacteria infection or damage. So first thing you want to do is get the swelling down so it doesn't damage the eye any more.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #7 
Roemgie

So when I put pictures up of Yogi almost a year ago people freaked out on me telling me that I had to do this and do that because his eye should look like it does. Well I bought him because he had pop eye and it never seemed to go down BUT he swam around fine and lived a good while until I was stupid and didn't have a top on his tank and he jumped :(

BUT here are some pictures of him :)

I believe as long as you keep his water clean, heated, and feed him healthy food he should be fine especially since its been so long now
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote