Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #1 
OMGemily

Clamping fins?

Without any other information, why do Bettas clamp their fins? Just as a general question
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

They can clamp fins for various reasons....sometimes as a response to illness, parasites, injury and sometimes it can be submissive response to another fish, fear etc...all part of their communication just like the color changes and stripes..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
They can clamp fins for various reasons....sometimes as a response to illness, parasites, injury and sometimes it can be submissive response to another fish, fear etc...all part of their communication just like the color changes and stripes..
i just added a new betta to my tank (its divided i promise!) and he was really agressive at first, almost always flared or half flared, like Antione usually is, Antione was the one who got stress stripes. the new guys almost twice Antiones size! but today his fins are more clamped than ive ever seen a bettas :( and idk why... i dont think hes sick, like i said he was perfectly fine yesterday...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Maybe his stress cause him to fall prone to some kind of health problem...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #5 
iceyrose

Have checked the water peramiters...there twice the amount of bathroom excrements before?
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #6 
iceyrose

Good luck!
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7 
OMGemily

It couldn't have been the water... He was only in there a few days... That is literally the ONLY symptom I noticed... And I came home to another dead fish... Antione looked fine though... I'm cleaning the tank now...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Im looking into fish tb right now which can kill fish almost without any symptoms or kills them after disfiguring the fish horribly. Did any constantly stay at the water surface? if there's a chance it was fish tb use hot water on top of the usual sterilization process to clean you tanks..the bacteria dies at higher temperatures.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #9 
OMGemily

No he stayed at the bottom... I thought he was dead a couple times and made him float in his cup for a while so he could be close to the surface but he was more active then so I thought maybe he was just sleeping... I came hOme today and he was behind the heater on the bottom and I was hoping to god he was just sleeping again... But this time he wasn't... The water did seem kind of cloudy... And I don't know why... There wasn't the normal protein film on top it was just cloudy... I just changed the water last weekend... I checked the ammonia and it was at .5 but that's a little lower than it was in his cup at pets art so I know he could handle that... He hadn't eaten since I got him... He tried but spit them back out... There was this slimy brown stuff on the bottom of the tank but I don't know if it was there before or after I introduced him... I have no idea what it was...