Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #1 
BearMitten

I just want one more!

Hello everyone, got a 10 gallon, a little less then heavily planted I would say its close but not there yet. I have a king betta , 3 ghost shrimp and a golden mystery snail. I am thinking I would be able to add one more fish of some sort, but thought I would check with all of you wonderful people : ) I don't want a Cory or a placo of any kind. Nothing to do with eating algae. So if I can put another fish in there , a mid swimmer possibly, closer to a betta let me know please. Thank.
BearMitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Hey! I just got the following type of fish:

There were a few things that I wasn't expecting, though. When I bought him, he didn't have the metallic colors. Also, he has almost as much spunk as my betta (right now he's swimming up the current of my filter and letting it push him down, rinse and repeat). They eat the same food, and he and my betta get along awesomely! I wasn't sure, since he *is* a little bit larger than my betta, but they seem to be buddies. I just wish I could remember the name of his breed!!

You could also try neon tetras:

They're a lot less hardy than bettas, though. I was advised to buy them in a school. I've also read a few things on here about them being finnippers unless in a school. School size seems to vary from person to person, but I'd say anywhere from 4-6 is reasonable. Mine were a bit stupid, though. They committed little fishy suicide by forcing themselves into plant areas that they couldn't get out of. I woke up during the night and found them dead in weird angles in the plants. Poor little guys. Speaking of little, they are rather teenie.

Anyways, I hope this helps! Keep in mind that not all bettas like tank-mates, but from the sounds of it, yours doesn't seem to mind. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #3 
BearMitten

I like him, if you remember the name please let me know? In my parameters will another fish be okay?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #4 
eatmice2010

He looks like a type of cichlid
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #5 
Hershey

Maybe an ADF.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #6 
BearMitten

I don't think I want a frog, maybe one day but not today.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm going up to the pet store again tomorrow. I'll take a look at the tank that I got him in while I'm up there. (:
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #8 
stangant

I used to have a school of those in my tank along with my prized angles, great fish but alas I cannot remember the names either. :/

**FOUND IT**

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_cichlid

Last edited by stangant; 01-26-2013 at 08:41 PM.
stangant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 
BearMitten

My betta is extremely chill, so chill that I was actually annoyed at first when I had him in a 55g and there were these rio de janeiro tetras that would tail nip at times and he wouldnt do anything. I guess I was hoping that he would be this big bad king of the tank but I have come to realize that he is just a gentle giant. I have never seen him flare even with mirrors and at the pet store with other bettas. Since then I have moved him to his own 10gand his fins look really good and he seems very healthy; while before he hid alot and had clamped fins which was my fault. I dont want a fish that will dominate him or fin nip.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangant View Post
I used to have a school of those in my tank along with my prized angles, great fish but alas I cannot remember the names either. :/

**FOUND IT**

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_cichlid
Yes this is it!