Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #31 
thekoimaiden

Mo is right. The reason your dojos aren't growing as large as they should be is due to poor living conditions and bad diet. If you are going to keep a coldwater fish in tropical temperatures, you need to up their food intake or else they will starve to death. Fish metabolisms are regulated by the temperature. A coldwater fish living at tropical temperatures will need to eat more to maintain a healthy body weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Dojo loaches are raised for food, I hear. O.o
Posted via Mobile Device
They are a food fish in Asian because they get so big and taste like eels (mmmm unagi nigiri). They are also invasive in the cooler areas of the US and are illegal to keep in some states (not the southern states because they are not a tropical fish). I love the eely look, but the dojos I had with my goldfish took a liking to the goldfish's slime coats. I had to say good bye to them, but they went to another good aquarist.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 04-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #32 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Omg I love eel meat. I'd be tempted to make sushi out of em if I ever got dojos. xD
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #33 
Cinderwolf

So I will probably already know the answer to this question. But I have a 6 gal heavily planted Marineland Eclipse tank. It is cycling now, but when it is done, I would love to add a few tank mates. Would it be only shrimp or snails I can add? You have this fish ( Rasbora Brigittae) listed as 5 gal. Is that true?

I was planning on shrimp, bt the idea of fish is sooo inticing. I wish here was fish I could keep in the 6 gal.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #34 
Mo

I depends on the betta itself typically if your betta is very, vey passing then those fish could work in a 6 gallon long
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #35 
Cinderwolf

not sure about him, for a whiel we was super passive, not evne flaring at himself in the mirror, but lately he has been flaring. Thoguh I dont think my tank is a long.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #36 
thekoimaiden

I don't think it is a good idea to keep a betta with other fish in anything less than a 10 gallon. In a regular 6 gallon tank there just isn't enough room for everyone to escape. The 6 gal long that Mo is referring to is the Petco Bookshelf aquarium. Length matters a lot for fish because they swim side to side more than up and down.

Now about the Rasboras brigittae (sometimes called mosquito rasbora). It is indeed a micro species that has the potential to live in a 5 gallon tank, but they are a very sensitive fish. They are not a good choice for a beginner. Especially because the smaller the tank the more apt it is to have wild parameter fluctuations which kill sensitive species such as this.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #37 
Cinderwolf

Thats what I thought, just thought I should ask. i will stick to shrimp then. Maybe some day I will get a bigger tank with other fish in it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #38 
starrlamia

bumping because this thread should be a sticky!
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #39 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

No, it shouldn't. Many of these fish should never be kept with a betta.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #40 
starrlamia

like what? most of them seem reasonable to me
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote