Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #1 
keebelf

Unhappy Raxicor's tale is damaged. What do I do?!?!

Seeing as this is my first fish ever, I am sure I am doing things massibely wrong.

We got Raxicor and tank and all the fixin's on Sunday. Started an ammonia cycle on Sunday and am still waiting for the nitrites to show up. I have been switching Raxicor (male) between the cup we brought him home in and a tumbler. Last night I felt sort of guilty that he was still in such a small home so I put him into a Glad-ware plastic container that has more swimming area for him. It is still chilly here so I have put him on the edge of a heating pad that is set on low and have an electronic thermometer in there telling me what his water temp is(I keep watch on the temperature constantly and feel that if it is getting too high, around 80-81, I move the container over to the edge of the heating pad so he doesn't get as much heat and he stabilizes at around 77-79).

Today I look at him and he is laying on the bottom of the Glad-ware on his side and there are little dark flecks in the water. Looking closer, his tails are chopped up a little bit. Best thing we can surmise is that he was swimming around a lot more but also might have gotten too close to the thermometer winch is spiked at the end of it.

I now have him back in his cup but he is still just laying on the bottom like a flounder.

What should I do? Should I leave him in the cup he is in and let his tail heal on it's own? Does he need medical attention? Should I clean out the 10g tank and put him into that thus starting my water cycle all over again? Does he need to go back to the store?
keebelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 
tiffanini

Is he a crowntail betta? If not, your betta might have fin rot. Without pictures, I don't know if the fin rot is just beginning or in an advanced stage. if it is mild, changing the water and gravel should be enough to get rid of his stress and help heal his fins.

But if it is serious, you should first put him in a cup and clean his glad-ware container or get a larger plastic container (personally, I prefer over 3 gallons) to put him in. Treat him with a fungus medication everyday until you see a whitish color on his fins which shows new fin growth. If you can, also add aquarium salt which can speed the process. Do a water change every few days and stop treating when all of the fins are back to normal.
tiffanini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #3 
keebelf

here is a pic....sorry for the glare but, I guess you can get an idea with just this.....?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Could be either marbling (change of colors) or fin rot. Treat for fin rot just in case.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 
keebelf

How do I test for fin rot?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Lots of good clean water and some almond leaf (you buy it online).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #7 
underdebate

That DEFINITELY looks like fin rot to me.

What I would do is go out to your LPS and buy aquarium salt before you start treating him with medication-- aquarium salt can work wonders and often it's better to use that and let your betta's fins heal themselves than to start them on antibiotics right away. Dosage for the salt is usually 1 teaspoon per gallon (but read the label just in case): if you have a container that's larger than a gallon I'd mix it in there (and don't forget conditioner-- same dosage per gallon as whatever you'd normally use). You'll want to keep your betta in his cup instead of putting him into a bigger container-- if you have another cup this would be the perfect opportunity to use it for water changes.

Scoop up a cupful of the salt water and put him in it. To help him heal you'll want to change his water every day (hence why you might want a second cup). Make sure he's kept warm-- if you've got a good water temperature in the Gladware then what I'd do is put his cup inside it, then fill it partway with water (so the water line in his cup matches the water line in the container), and put it on the heating pad like you had it before.

Keep that up for 10 days (it'll get better before it gets worse, so seriously, try to shoot for 10 days), doing water changes every day, and keep an eye on him. He should start looking a little perkier soon.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #8 
keebelf

Would Walmart have aquarium salt? Ours has betta fish for sale and a few other fish related items but I have never looked. That is really the only thing we have here, the closest Petsmart (where we got everything) is over 45 min. away. I am getting a ride to Walmart here i a bit to look for it, hopefully they will have it and I will start treatments once I get home. Seeing as how the water cycle in his tank isn't even a week old yet, this will be a good thing in a way(re: the waiting).

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #9 
underdebate

You're very welcome! I live in Canada and our Walmarts don't sell fish, so I wouldn't know, but you can definitely look and see.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #10 
lvandert

they might. Also try treating with some stress coat. it has a dosage for "healing damaged fins" and seemed to work pretty good for me.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote