Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #21 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
That's unfortunate he reacted that way, but try to have an open mind. He may be a jerk who abuses animals. Or, maybe he's just somebody who is doing something to provide for his family and you come along, someone who he probably see's as a wealthy Westerner who's attacking him for the way he makes him living.

Misunderstanding and mis-perception can run both ways.

Just because we don't understand something doesn't make it truly wrong or evil; sometimes it's just different than what we're used to.
True
I don't come in contact with those outside the USA often. So usually I don't keep in mind what could be different there.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #22 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I actually contacted the breeder and asked why the water was that color
Why there were bettas crammed into that jar
Why there were no heaters
And why the bettas in the bucket had little to none water

He actually blew up on me and said I was just some worthless child and told me to leave him alone. My reaction: o.O

So to me it just looked like horrible living conditions and the breeder was defending his neglectful ways.

Thank you for explaining everything.
I'd imagine if I got an email going "why this why that why did you do it that way" I'd get defensive too. All of those questions in this quote could have been answered with research instead of "correcting" the breeder.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #23 
plakatkhmer

Those bettas that is in the bucket are not dead. They're just checking the fins.
plakatkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #24 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
I'd imagine if I got an email going "why this why that why did you do it that way" I'd get defensive too. All of those questions in this quote could have been answered with research instead of "correcting" the breeder.
My thoughts exactly. It's already been said in this thread why the water is that color, and info about their jar-keeping and whatnot too.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #25 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by styggian View Post
Yeah, honestly I would have been snarky right back if someone asked me this. Of course I think I'd try to phrase it nicely...but I'd still defend my position on the matter.

plakatkhmer: Yeah that or doing water changes it looks like. They look like relatively healthy fish.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #26 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Probably couldn't climb up the slippery surface, tired out and drowned. :/
Yeah, rats are actually pretty good swimmers, but everything/one gets tired at some point and it was too deep for him to stand in and breathe for long.

I *kinda* feel sorry for the little ratty, but not really. I've had PET rats in the past, and they were wonderfully cute, smart, and friendly. WILD rats are smart, but that's about where the similarity ends! (Shudder)
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakatkhmer View Post
Those bettas that is in the bucket are not dead. They're just checking the fins.
Yeah sometimes that's the only way to get a good look.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #28 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea. Rats are huge pests here too.. We have to kill so many since they ravage our veggie garden.. They eventually learned to avoid traps after seeing their buds dead in em. :/ feeder rats are meh with me too. However pet rats are just so dearly sweet. Sad how they have to be separate in my mind though :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #29 
Laki

The rat probably crept in to go "fishing" (rats can fish with their paws) and fell in. He could have been sick or something else could have spooked him into the water.

Thailand (or wherever this farm is) is naturally very warm!!! The fish don't need heaters!!!!

I also like the look of IAL. I never don't have it in my tanks!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #30 
Tisia

I think those unknown jars are food for conditioning. look like they have mosquito larva and other critters in them
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote