Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #41 
copperarabian

Those crowntails in the last photo are really pretty. And I felt bad for some of the young bettas, it looked like they had minor find rot. Other then that it looked pretty good, except the rat of course.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #42 
LittleBettaFish

Let me tell you rats are attracted to water like that.

We have rats living in our backyard in the chicken coop. I put a big plastic tub out there I was going to turn into a pond and it filled up with rainwater. In four days, I had collected 4 dead rats out of it.

I don't know why they kept falling in as I had other sources of water on the ground they could have gotten to. The breeder might have just woken up to find a dead rat floating in the jar. It hasn't been there for too long by the looks of it, so who knows when or how it fell in. I'd assume that's also why there is a cat there.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #43 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
He is. And he spawns in 5 gal. painting tubs from walmart. xD
That's the ONLY way to spawn bettas, doncha know.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #44 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
In Japan, they spawn them in 3.5 gallons, then split the fry into multiple tanks as soon as they are free swimming.

Difference in breeding culture fascinates me to no end.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #45 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Those crowntails in the last photo are really pretty. And I felt bad for some of the young bettas, it looked like they had minor find rot. Other then that it looked pretty good, except the rat of course.
I'm sure Minor fin rot and things like white spot etc are fairly common in both breeder, hobbyists and pet owners tanks? It wasn't the set up of the place. I know NOTHING about breeding anything apart from birds so I couldn't comment on that anyway. It was purely the rat that bothered me. I almost cried when we hit a suicidal bunny on the road last night so little critters (wild and infested with mixi and rabies or cute fluffy pets, makes no odds to me) makes me sad. I dunno if I would have taken a picture though, as an unexperienced Betta keeper, it would put me off from buying from him.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #46 
Tikibirds

I read an article somewhere on how thai breeders do it so the pics don't really surprise me, except for the rat. THAT was disgusting. The article mentioned that most breeders put a male and female in a tiny bowl under an IAL or some other leaf and check them every few days. if the female survived, great..If not, they have plenty others they can use.

I used a 5 gallon storage container to spawn, would of worked too if the male didnt decide to nom nom on his offspring.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #47 
Laki

Trust me. A small domestic house cat is NO match for wild rats. Cats can keep mice at bay, but rats do not fear a cat. A cat is a playtoy for a naughty rat!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #48 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
LOL Leeniex!!! xDDD
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #49 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Trust me. A small domestic house cat is NO match for wild rats. Cats can keep mice at bay, but rats do not fear a cat. A cat is a playtoy for a naughty rat!
I can attest to that he he he my cats are afraid of my big pound and a half rats.

Cant say anything to the breeding, but yea the rat made me sad.. mainly cause i adore rats wild or not. but yea I bet he went to get a drink or a fishie snack and slipped in. Rats have a hard time climbing slippery things ( mine cant get out of a wet sink without a big leap he he he)

I agree beautiful ct.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #50 
Pitluvs

I just had a mental image of my rat boys trying to hop out of the tub during wash time... poor things lol They really can't climb a slippery surface.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote