Betta Fish Forum banner

Planting a 2 gallon tank

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
I recently rehoused my betta into a 2 gallon Fluval SPEC and I really want to make it a planted aquarium. I've done a little bit of research and have a few ideas for species but am mostly wondering what would be overkill for a tank this size. It has 31 LEDs not exactly sure of the "wattage" or if LEDs are measured the same way other bulbs are? It has a built in overflow with a 3 stage filtration complete with a small pump/powerhead. It's capable of 40gph but you can tune it down, which I have for my little guy.

Ok so my idea for my tank is to start off with a black sand/fine gravel substrate. I wanted to try my hand at creating a carpet of sorts with the Brazilian Microsword, and I'd also like to have a nano moss ball. I know that bettas like floating plants so I was thinking about incorporating salvinia auriculata, though there isn't much surface area as the tank is more of a column design. I was dabbling with the idea of finding a small piece of driftwood for an anubias nana. However I did also want a plant to utilize the height of the tank, and preferably one with a little bit of color, but I can't really find anything. Do you think this is too much? What kind of fertilizing would need to be done?

Thanks in advance :)

#2 ·
Hi there! Welcome the forums.

I have the Fluval Spec as well, let me just start off saying the LED light cannot support most aquatic plants. I've tried, trust me. Also I didn't know you can tune down the filter, I had to baffle mine with a piece of cloth, so the water current will be weaker.

First off, I would say no to the carpeting plants, they're very demanding and will need high wattages of light and as well CO2 to thrive well. Nano moss balls, yes, they can survive in the tank, they're not demanding at all. I'm pretty sure the floating plant won't survive as well, seems it needs heavy wattage light, plus duckweed didn't even survive in my Fluval Spec. Hrm, with the Anubias Nana, they like moderate amount of lighting as well.

Basically, the Fluval Spec isn't great with plants to be honest. What I would go with is low light plants and the small kind so it'll fit in the tank. My recommendations are some dwarf java fern, a couple of moss balls and maybe some moss? If you want some floating plants, you can try some water sprite, they like low light when floating.

Fertilizers is a touchy thing, since our tanks are so small it's really easy to overdose on fertilizers. I wouldn't recommend any, since most of the plants I recommended to you don't really need any fertilizers.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
The LEDs equipped, as the previous poster said, won't support most plant life. You're best getting plants that have low light requirements, such as anubias, java ferns, and mosses. Be sure you research each species before buying though, because light needs vary even among these. There are high-light mosses and anubias, for sure.

If you can make a DIY CO2 system (tutorials can be found on youtube), you'll have more luck with these plants. CO2 and substrate are almost as important as good lighting. Plants can thrive with a little less light if these other two things are top-notch. Some folks dose excel instead in small tanks, but take care not to overdose. Too much excel is not good for your fish.

For a tank that small, Id probably make some sort of anubias garden with a moss wall or carpet. :)

Good luck!

#5 ·
I have a two gallon (not sure on the brand, it has a normal common tank light though) and I have 1 floating anubias nana and a lump of java moss sitting at the bottom, they are both doing great and my betta loves to float around on the anubias leaves. :)

#8 ·
Here is one of my 2gal soil based tanks-no filter, no CO2, no added ferts, light is florescent 6500k on 12h/day PP, plants-bronze crypt, java moss, naja grass, rotala indica and water lettuce.-Stocked with common snails and RCS with a single Betta...

I have always wondered with heavily planted tanks. How do you clean it? lol

#10 ·
I clean that little tank maybe once a month or less....I clean the sides and use a cup to dip the water out....Every week I have to trim the plants and top it off with fresh water, I rarely clean the bottom-This is the beauty of the NPT's the soil is alive and they don't need cleaning the way regular tanks do....This tank has been setup for about 3 years maybe 4......its been tore down once and re-setup....this tank was my very first NPT when I first started them about 7-8 years ago.....

#11 ·
Nice tank! What kind of soil do you use in an aquarium? I always thought you had to use sand or a kind of fine gravel. That's pretty awesome it is completely self sufficient and you do not even have to use a filter! I don't doubt anyone's advice on the LEDs, but I think I'm going to see how it fares with the low light/low care plants I'm considering and based on that decide whether to purchase a more powerful light. The only one I have found is a 13w power compact but doesn't that seem a little much for a 2 gal tank?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.