Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

I am going to be the voice of dissent and say I hate this show. On a lot of other forums it has been discussed that they overstock, don't acclimatise or cycle their tanks, use inappropriate stocking, and really have no concern for the fish's welfare at all.

On the Monster fish forum, there is a big thread on Tanked. Apparently one of their tanks (I think it was at an orthodontist) had the rest of its stock completely decimated by the resident sharks in next to no time. They also did not acclimatise the fish and just chucked them in.

Apparently one of their always recommended fish the Sweetlips, is extremely sensitive and not really suitable for a brand new set-up. Also the way they refer to Blue Tangs and Clownfish as 'Dory' and 'Nemo' kind of really turned me off. It gives people the idea that like in the movie these two species of fish are going to be the best of pals.

I also thought the skateboard ramp tank was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Poor fish.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #22 
Laki

I watched the skateboard one. It didn't seem to bother the fish at all but tanks are not supposed to be used like that. :/ They're not sport accessories.
I watched a couple youtube episodes after seeing it in this thread and I agree, the show kind of sucks.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #23 
Pogthefish

but its still good entertainment, the tanks are cool, but the fish treatment is not. and if you can do that without bothering the fish, then good for you!

If they didnt add fish or added the right fish and the tanks didnt bug them then hey who's stoppin you! i dont mind the idea, i mind how it was carried out.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #24 
Sam Crow

I love the show. A lot of the show's criticism is unwarranted. What they don't show you is all the work that is put into doing the tanks properly. They edit out much of the "technical" stuff, as it's boring to the viewer (cycling, acclamation, details on fish care and filtering, ext.) . I read an interview some time back with these guys. Most of the time they don't stock the tanks themselves, just build them (as their business is to primarily manufacture acrylic tanks).

What you see on your TV is an extremely condensed version of all the work that goes into making, stocking and keeping those aquariums. Also, there is no such thing as a true "reality" show. Many things are done for dramatic effect. This show, and all other reality shows (without exception), are all really just improvisation mixed with some scripted elements with a predetermined begining-middle-end.

Enjoy it for what it is with the knowledge that what you see isn't all there is too it. In all due respect, amateur hobbyists criticizing professionals is like a high school basketball player criticizing LeBron James.

I do wish more fish keeping facts were incorporated into the show, but I do understand why it isn't. This isn't an educational program, it's an entertainment program. I say enjoy the show, the tanks, the fish, the interactions and leave it at that. Or simply don't watch.

Here is an good article on the show that I think is an even-handed opinion/review. A "must read" for the shows critics.
http://definitive-aquarium.com/blog/?p=94

Last edited by Sam Crow; 04-29-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Sam Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #25 
Pogthefish

that makes m feel better about liking it :D
Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

I'm pretty sure someone was actually there on set during the filming and set-up of one of the tanks and got to see the build.

I'm not sure if we can actually link to other forums here, but here's a snippet

Quote:
Not the worst, they always talk about acclimation, this was a salt water shark tank, they threw thousands of dollars worth of fish into this tank without any acclimation at all. Several nice sized sharks and a ton of other salt water fish that should not have been with the sharks. Within 48 hours only 2 fish were left alive a small shark blinded by bashing himself into the wall ofnthe tank and a large nurse shark that almost burst from eating so many dead fish. It was a horror show
The poster provided their details as well for verification that they weren't just spouting off.

Also, many 'professionals' in this business are usually ignorant, out to get their customers' money or both. How many times have we heard the owners and employees of fish stores giving bad advice? I may be an amateur but I can guarantee I know more than some people who have been in the industry for years.

Apparently there is a show called Fish Kings or something on the National Geographic channel. They actually had a segment on correct stocking with aggressive fish and explaining why certain fish will not co-habitat happily together. Looks a lot better than Tanked from an educational stand-point.

Also if you go on youtube one of the half-owners of the Tanked show has a kid with a betta in a pretty miserable looking bowl. Kind of helped as a turn-off.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 05-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #27 
Pogthefish

:(
Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #28 
Sam Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'm pretty sure someone was actually there on set during the filming and set-up of one of the tanks and got to see the build.

I'm not sure if we can actually link to other forums here, but here's a snippet

The poster provided their details as well for verification that they weren't just spouting off.
Was he just some "unnamed source"? Perhaps a disgruntled former employee, or maybe someone that a crew member treated badly. If he gives a name, job title, affiliation and absolute proof of his accusations, then I'll believe it. Until then, it could be anyone. I don't believe any source unless they put their name on it. I'm not saying that it's false, just (from the information I see) isn't reliable to me. "Unnamed sources" said Scot Baio dies a few weeks ago, yet he is very much still alive.

I still will take the word of a pro any day (no disrespect to anyone). There is MUCH more to what they do/did than what you see on an edited hour-long show.

All I'm saying is that unless there is real, confirmed proof that they mishandle their business then I can't disparage this entertainment show.

If you like it, watch it. If not, then don't.
Sam Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #29 
Tikibirds

I would like to think they edit out all the boring stuff like cycling and such but I have to wonder, how many of these tanks get the proper care from their owners?? They built a huge one in the wall of some sports star. I can't see them doing a 100 gallon water change every week....
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Crow View Post
Was he just some "unnamed source"? Perhaps a disgruntled former employee, or maybe someone that a crew member treated badly. If he gives a name, job title, affiliation and absolute proof of his accusations, then I'll believe it. Until then, it could be anyone. I don't believe any source unless they put their name on it. I'm not saying that it's false, just (from the information I see) isn't reliable to me. "Unnamed sources" said Scot Baio dies a few weeks ago, yet he is very much still alive.

I still will take the word of a pro any day (no disrespect to anyone). There is MUCH more to what they do/did than what you see on an edited hour-long show.

All I'm saying is that unless there is real, confirmed proof that they mishandle their business then I can't disparage this entertainment show.

If you like it, watch it. If not, then don't.
This is a link to the forum discussing the show. Post 16 is where the guy gives his info.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...EASON!!!/page2

I don't like it simply because it makes the average person think it's that simple to set-up and stock a marine tank. It's bad enough we have the general public running around with delusions of owning a tank full of fish such as Gill the Moorish Idol from Finding Nemo.

I generally don't like reality shows anyway since all of them are so obviously scripted and edited they seem faker than some of the soap operas on the television. At least the people in them can act halfway decent.