Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 
teshr

Exclamation should I turn off my filter??

I just transferred my male betta from 1/2 gal to a 5 gal tank yesterday. Everything is fine except the filter. I just walked in and saw my baby trapped in a corner because of the current the filter was making. I turned it off to give him a chance to swim away and then turned back on only for him to be stuck once again.
Its back on again, although he continually struggles toy swim. I'm afraid I'll find him dead in the morning because I have to go to work soon.is it ok to have the filter off for a few hours?

The filter, which is made for 5~ 15 gal tanks, came with the 5 gal Aqua culture .

Does he still have to get used to it our dip you think the filter is to strong?
teshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
teshr

Does the night of the water make a difference? Mine is about an inch from the top of the tank.
teshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 
bahamut285

You can baffle the filter by putting a piece of aquarium sponge near the out-take, but for now you can leave it off until you baffle it but you should not really turn on then turn off the filter. The movement of the water through the filter is what keeps beneficial bacteria alive to help with the tank.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Baffle it.
Also if you went through cycling it, turning it off will kill the bacteria in it. Not sure how soon though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, new aquarium, stuck