Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 
makoisland

Lights/Cycling

So I've got my male betta in a small aquarium (I think it's a 2.5 gallon, but I'm not sure since we've had it a while). I'm wondering if I need a light for it. Throughout the day I open the window blinds a bit so it's a little brighter, and in the evening I turn on a lamp so it's not completely dark. But do I need to get an actual aquarium light?

Also, later this year I'm planning on setting up a 10 gallon to house a sorority. I've already got the tank; it's been sitting in the basement unused for several years. When I'm ready to get my fish, do I need cycle it? If I do, a step-by-step would be nice since I really have no idea how.

Thanks in advance!
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 
Foisair

Hey there and welcome.

Concerning lights: The main reason you would need special lights would be if you have live plants that need the extra light to survive. Your betta does not need his tank lit up. As long as he can tell the difference between day and night so he can sleep, he should be fine. Excluding tanks with live plants, lighting is completely for esthetics.

Concerning cycling your 10 gal: I am currently attempting to cycle my 10 gal as well. I've found the sticky at the top of this section to be quite helpful. (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838) Although I am having difficulties getting my cycle going, the concepts and basics can be found in that sticky.

I hope that helps. ^_^
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #3 
makoisland

Oh boo, I didn't even see that sticky. lol

Yes it does help, thank you. I don't have live plants, just a plastic one, so I suppose lighting is not an issue then.

I'll have to go read that sticky now...
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote