Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #1 
phoenix888

Compatability opinions

I have a 30L tank and one Betta, hoping to get him some friends. I have been told neon tetras would be a good choice but then have also read on here that not so much. Also, opinions about the tank size: 30L / 7.7 gallon, is it big enough for one Betta and soe friends or should I consider somehow dividing it to house two Bettas? Dividing it would be hard for me, this is my first aquarium! I am still learning, reading every day about Bettas and aquarium care, it just gets confusing with all the contradicting information out there!
phoenix888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

I'm going to assume you've got a filter and a heater. :)
Either way, I'm no expert on stocking but I'd look into some shrimp to test his aggression. Something cheap like ghost shrimp.
I'm not absolutely positive on the neon tetras, but I think that 1) They are a schooling fish and need to be in numbers of 5+ to reduce fin nipping and 2) That they will eventually outgrow the tank space.

If anything try aqadvisor.com :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

Double post: And if you divide you can make your own dividers out of craft mesh and report binders. Its pretty easy you just gotta make sure to measure twice and cut once. :) If divided they would have approx. 15L/4gal to themselves. Which is a good size.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
phoenix888

I will give it a go, have looked up the info on how to make them, thanks to your suggestion. I am getting really excited about having this great home set up!!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 
Micho

Hrm, you could divide it if you wanted another betta. 3g each sounds okay.

In a 7.7g tank I would suggest some shrimps and snails, I don't think any schooling fish can fit in there, but that's just my opnion.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #6 
phoenix888

Thanks. I had thought of dividing it but thought it would be too hard: I have been looking for another tank for my fiances betta. I have seen how simple it can be to divide, here I was thinking that I would need to glue in a sheet of glass or drill and glue plexiglass, hence the reason for thinking buying a second tank would be easier! So, off I go today to buy the supplies to divide, as well as a tester kit as the one I have only does ph levels, didn't know about the nitrates and ammonia and all that.
Fiance says what a waste, a nice tank like that for only 2 fish. I said no, it is perfect, instead of spending another $100 or more to set up a second tank we have a perfect tank for our fish. They both get extra room and we don't have t worry about maintaining two tanks and having two heaters, two filters, etc. Guess some people need to be won over to the idea that it isn't a waste to use a tank for only two fish if it improves their quaity of life
Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I think you've got the right idea. It is, sadly, too small for neon tetras, but it would make a lovely home for two bettas.

A lot of people look at a tank and think it looks big compared to the fish, but they don't take many things into account (bioload, aggression etc). Personally, I think my betta looks fantastic in a 20 litre AA panoramic by himself - anything else would look crowded. (Shrimp not included in that - I have lots of red cherry shrimp).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote