Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 
Mankey

How much is too much?

I have 1 Betta, 1 Cory catfish, and 6 ghost shrimp. I generally tend to have 4-8 Ghost shrimp (every once in a while, I find my betta eating a dead shrimp, though I'm not sure about whether or not he killed it). I am planning on adding 2 more Cory catfish soon. Would this tank be overstocked, or would I be able to fit around 4 more neon tetras in there?

... I should probably mention it's a 10 gallon tank.

Last edited by Mankey; 03-29-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #2 
Micho

First off, what kind of Cory is it?

And I would say most cories prefer I be in a shoal of 6.

Depending on what type of cories you have I kind determine if your tank is overstocked or not.

Also Neon Tetras prefer to be a shoal of 6 and up I believe. They also do better in bigger tanks, some people say that 15g tanks are better for them.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #3 
Mankey

I've been trying to figure out what type it is for a while. The sign at the store said "Cory cat fish" and that's basically it. I'm also only saying 3 because that's all they had at the store. I'm having some trouble getting a good picture of it. But it has a grey head, almost white body, and a black spot line. Colored a lot like a ghost shrimp is the best description I can give.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'd bum up the number of cories to 4 once you figure out what kind it is. After that you couldn't add any other fish as it would be overstocked!

Good Luck! ;D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well your tank if very well not over stocked. I would suggest not adding the neons into the tank because they tend to be more active and need a bit more room. If you want more fish, try to go with mollies. 4-5 of them should really make the tank look nice. Also I agree. You should get two or three more cories of the same species.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen

^^
BL2033, It's a 10 Gallon. With cories and shrimp I don't think you can add any more fish without it being overstocked. :/
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
^^
BL2033, It's a 10 Gallon. With cories and shrimp I don't think you can add any more fish without it being overstocked. :/
I have to disagree. Both shrimp and corys are bottom dwellers and don't go to the surface very often. Bettas are kind of all over while mollies will be in the middle and the top when feeding.

There will be way more than enough room for 4-5 mollies.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #8 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I have to disagree. Both shrimp and corys are bottom dwellers and don't go to the surface very often. Bettas are kind of all over while mollies will be in the middle and the top when feeding.

There will be way more than enough room for 4-5 mollies.
I wouldn't recommend Mollies, simply because you wouldn't know if the Mollies will do better in freshwater or brackish water. And well, it would really suck if they liked brackish water better.

Also to the OP I would just bump up the numbers of cories to 4 ~ 6, but since we don't know what kind of cories they are I wouldn't recommend any other fish. Maybe you can also get more shrimps, they like to be together too.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

As long as they look similar..
Try this:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=pv&s=3.11
Also, mollies have huge bioloads, they produce tons of ammonia. I don't think I'd even want 5 mollies alone in a 10 gallon.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

I personally have had 7-10 mollies alone in a ten gallon and they d best in freshwater. They like to be in groups as well. Any fish is going to produce plenty of waste. If you have a good filter it shouldn't be a problem. Also it was just and example of one of the live bearers they can get.

Though its up to the OP to determine if they would like to stick with the kind of fish they have or get one other in a small group number. Yes I know a ten gallon can only hold so much, but some livebearers won't disturb anything.

Though for now, I would just suggest waiting to know what species of Cory you have.