Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 
Kerberdox

Milo looks like a colorful blimp.

My Crowntail Betta looks bloated and I was given advice to lower his feeding and wait for the bloating to go down. I did and nothing happened he still looks like a blimp. This morning when I checked on him he was trying to swim down, but when he stopped he floated to the top of the water. I was also told to it was a possibility that he could have an air bubble and it could not be treated...

I've had Milo since November of this year and he is not my first betta. When I first got him he was very active and always bared his gills at anything and everyone that got near his bowl. He is still as active and no behavioral change other than spitting his food out once. I'm curious on what I can for the little guy. I love him to stay healthy and live a good life, than die from being over fed by an owner who made a silly mistake.

Does it matter where I got him from?
Kerberdox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Stop feeding him for 2-3 days (I know it sounds horrible, but it'll be better for him in the long run).

If he doesn't improve with complete fasting fora few days, or if his scales start to stick up, then start immediately on epsom salt (No colors or scents) at 1 tsp/gal. If he shows no improvement or looks really bloated after you've started epsom salt treatment, slowly bring him up to 2 tsp/gal over 24 hours and then to 3 tsp/gal over another 24 hours if he's pineconing (Raised scales).

Sounds like he's constipated and is having some swim bladder issues. Consistent warm water helps with this. Try and get his temperature in the 78-80 range if he isn't already there (If it's a drastic change like from 70 to 80 then take a week to do this so he doesn't go into shock).

****For the epsom salt treatment, you'll want to dissolve the salt, then add to the tank (Preferably before your betta is in the new water) and do 100% daily water changes. Re-add salt after every water change the same way you do it the first time.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 
Kerberdox

I tried the not feeding him for a certain amount of days. I will have to go get some epsom salt today, because his scales are raised. I will try that. Thank you for your help~ ^.^
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Should be able to find it for pretty cheap at a grocery store or general store.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #5 
Kerberdox

I've got i t now and started the treatment, so I am going to wait and see what happens. I will have to go and get a heating thing for him at a pet shop or a store that specifies fish.

Typo wise I meant last November XD