Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Some betta breeders are HORRIBLE...not for the faint heart

Note I said SOME.
Anyhow, I had "friended" some breeders on FB and I now see the horrors of how they over breed and don't care for these beautiful fish.

The pictures say it all....

I am not sure what is in those jars.....

You get the jest....
I see so much dirty water, improper care, over breeding, etc, etc
I cant even tell if the above picture has dead or live bettas. Either way, if their dead, thats alot of dead bettas at once and if their live.....
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 
Laki

eep. This cannot possibly be in Canada or USA?
Also, the pics were bad but the drowned rat actually frightened me!! I totally did NOT expect that! lol..or not "lol" bc there's nothing funny about it.
This is the industry created by people looking to make a buck bc of the high demand. Any of us who has saved bettas from the pet store is supporting this.. I'm guilty of it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

For the most part I see just an average Asian betta farm. The rat and dead fish aren't acceptable. The fish is in a spawning bowl (Thai method breeding) so she may have been killed by the male. The rat... IDK.

Sometimes fish need to be out of water to get a better view of their fins.

The large amount of fish in the small containers could be going to grow out. If I can't fit my spawn tub in the grow out I cram 20-30 juveniles in a betta cup and float them in the grow out for a few hours. However those fish appear to have rot/malnutrition issues.

So I really only have complaints about those pictures with the rat and dead fish and possibly sick juveniles.

The fish with barely any water could be getting a water change since with young bettas you need to remove a lot of water to keep stunting hormones under control.

Betta breeders in Asia are much different than how we are here their fish are of OK quality but their crowntails are nice.

Again I have no idea who they are and probably will never buy from them.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 03-29-2012 at 12:30 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Asia or not, the living conditions are horrible. Whens the last time anyone has changed the waters?? There all a disgusting color.

Another thing, why would you "cram" fish like that? They deserve to have living space of their own. Just like we do.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

The water has almond leaf in it. My tanks are the same color with lots of water changes every week.

Also it's easier for me to acclimate them in one small container than in their old home. Why? Because I don't want stunting hormone going in my tanks where I'll have to worry about it enough.

My fish are housed in 1/2 gallon jars until I get my sump and drip system up. Even then they'll be in jars. It's IMPOSSIBLE to house bettas in 3 gallon tanks with filters and heaters when you breed.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #6 
Sheldon31

It looks horrific. The rat upset me :(
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

I also don't see a problem with these pictures. You're bound to have deaths with that many fish. It's impossible not to. Aisan breeders take very good care of their fish. They do (almost) daily water changes. The survival of most of these breeders depends on the survival of their fish. The people who do this kind of mass breeding rely on the profits from their fish, almost completely, to live off of.
Be reminded that Asian culture and society is much different from our own.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:59 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Keep in mind most Asian set ups are out doors and wild animals can easily enter the ponds or tanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

okay the water looks like that because the breeder is using indain almond leafs, the rat i have no idea. that is the thai way of breeding betta's. since thail land is somewhat a poor country like part of the Philippines, am saying part of it, and they use there containers and all. i could be totally wrong though.
and all breeders (large breeders) have bettas in 1 gallon jars because they can't take care of each fish in 10 or 5 gals. and they keep them outdoors for the fry to have mosquito larvae, infusoria, etc
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes. I agree with IAL. That brown water is much better than crystal clear water for betta. also none of the tanks have heaters since it is warm enough for betta outside in Thailand.
I know breeders also put them in the smaller containers because it helps the fins grow out faster.
I doubt they are a top aquabid farm, probably just sell fish more locally.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote