Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question betta sorority outside.... tips?

Okay, it's a rough copy idea, but here it goes....

kiddy ponds, some are made shallow and wide. That is what I will be after! an easy to put up, take down, kinda pond. Now, understandably you'd want to keep large and small animals out, so mesh top will be in my best interest. I've seen youtubers show off their bettas in ponds, breeders with spawn ponds, grow out ponds, and even barrel bettas! So, let's say I added tons of live plants.... whether what I have, imported, bought from some great stores who care for their plants, or even some of the natural stuff in our lake (there will be a test for hardiness and such before even thinking of using it! don't worry.), and I'll supply the pool/pond with shrimp or snails when algae bursts...as it would in water outdoors! it'll be for summer only, and I'll make sure to have room for the females to come indoors =D

questions...

1. heater for the night? is it recommended? or is it the larger the water amount, the less heat is lost?
2. pump, or no pump? would I need to add a pump to their habitat? I will be doing water changes as I would for any tank :)
3. there are "20 gallon pop up ponds" that float around time to time for dirt cheap, barely or never used, second hand. would it be better to get that over a kiddy pool?
4. any warnings, precautions, no-no's?
5. any encouragement, tips, and tricks? =D
6. oh, before I forget...weather changes? it IS alberta. it's easy enough to scoop and move if needed, in kiddy pools and smaller ponds. but what about rain and stuff? leave it be? cover?

"why?" well, I noticed how nicely my gals flourished getting a whole 9 gallon difference...moved from 4 gals in a 20 to 4 in a 29! how big they got, the colors that came out that I never knew they had! they didn't have a filter for a while in the 29, nor a light except the natural light from my window. moving, they are always getting sunlight from an open window (screen is the only thing in the way!), they have a filter, and a heater. a heater I could even use for the pool if I had to :p I would like to have them outside in the summer.

edit: I also have a balcony...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I think you'd have a pretty short season to use this in Alberta ;)
I think the biggest thing I can say is to keep it in the shade at all times (?) or at least the majority of the day, especially afternoon. Wouldn't want the sun to burn em up.
I'd put in a heater just as backup, if you can get a fully subermisible one, since a non submersible would get ruined in the rain.
Just me, but rain water can alter pH a lot I believe, so maybe you'd want a tarp over it just in case. I know goldies and koi can handle it in huge ponds, but not sure about betta in a kiddie pool
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I think you'd have a pretty short season to use this in Alberta ;)
I think the biggest thing I can say is to keep it in the shade at all times (?) or at least the majority of the day, especially afternoon. Wouldn't want the sun to burn em up.
I'd put in a heater just as backup, if you can get a fully subermisible one, since a non submersible would get ruined in the rain.
Just me, but rain water can alter pH a lot I believe, so maybe you'd want a tarp over it just in case. I know goldies and koi can handle it in huge ponds, but not sure about betta in a kiddie pool
hmm good tips (am writing these down =D ) I have an unused tarp... I can use that :) I could also set the bettas up half under the balcony, the other half lean-to styled with the tarp? I dunno I'll find a submersible heater... I don't know if my big one is subermsible... uhhh no it doesn't :/ "do not emmerse beyond this point" xD meh subermsible ones are easy t find if you know where to look... where I'd be putting it, the sun is there for the morning then all there is is shade =D
Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I take most of my Bettas outside in the summer for grow out and skeeter control and setup spawning buckets outside (see my album and thread on outside spawns for more details and pic)

Once the water heats up naturally to at least 72F and maintains that temp day and night with air temp at least 70F at night- I start taking a few out-I use just about anything that hold water...lol.....5gal buckets, an old plastic sand box, styrfoam containers, old water troughs, plastic trash bins, I even have an old little tyke baby bed I use for a spawning setup-along with a few glass tanks....anyway......

I don't add any heaters, no filtration, I don't cover them with anything, I don't make water changes, I don't even feed them, I don't worry about water temps in regards to rain, however, I don't place the containers so that they will receive direct sun light for more than 4-5 hours a day-water temp have reached well over the 100F mark in the upper level of the container-but in the lower levels it is generally 10 degrees cooler and as it start to cool down as the season changes the temps will be warmer in the plant and organic mass that usually forms.

I don't use any substrate per se'.....About a month before I plan to start taking them outside-I will clean all the containers-add a few inches of dried Oak leaves, water, plants and snails-I try to time this when we expect rain-this is so I can start with clean water and give enough time for the massive amounts of microorganisms, mosquito larva and other native larva/critters to form-this is the food source

Before I add any fish-I do make water test to ensure the water is safe and I add lots of live stem and floating plants and the water is pretty dark from the tannins. When it rains-this is the water changes-in drought I will top off the containers with the hose (I have well water)

I have never lost a fish due to water quality, sudden temp change related to rain, too hot of water, however, I do monitor the temps a couple of times a day and if I see stressed fish due to temp I will top them off with the hose- but I have lost a few to snakes.
I have mass spawning that takes place with 100's of fry produced in my short warm period I have in my area-about 3-5 months before it gets too cold.

Since the fish are going from hard well water to softer rain water I do slow acclimation-usually over an hour or based on their tolerance-but I also make pH, GH/KH test before hand.....

If it get real hot in your area-it may be better to use something deeper and limit direct sun to no more than 5 hours

I like to use a digital thermometer that I found in the housewares dept to monitor my water temps-I place it in a zip lock bag so that I can check different levels of the container.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 
copperarabian

That sounds so cool OFL
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

awesome info OFL!!! :) the sun rises in the east, sets in the west. my balcony, and lawn faces east, so they get the warm morning sun and by noon it's shaded. so when it gets really hot, they don't have the afternoon//evening heat on them ^^ I will wait for 72 steady, and I'll add some of the hardier plants.

question, could I use lake plants? we get tons of tall, short, plants, and whatever that green stuff on the top is (not ooey gooey, I'll add a pic!) I'll test the lake plants for "aquariumizing" xD
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

That is the best way to acclimate native collect plants too...keep them outside to start and gradually acclimate them to the lower light/artificial light.....We have some great native plants in my area that I collect and use all the time.

Your setup area sounds perfect-morning sun and heat of the day shade...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

thanks I will use that advice!!