Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #1 
charmed871

What can I do to help my sick/injured betta?

Hi, this is my first time on here so I hope this is in the right spot to post this!

Anyway, I came home today and found my betta laying on the bottom of his tank. He was gasping and had a lot of trouble swimming and his fins were completely shredded. He doesn't have any tankmates (it's a 5gal) and his tank has all live plants and no sharp edges that I could find, so I have no idea what did this. The filter doesn't seem too strong but maybe it caught him

Since I didn't know what did it I moved him to another tank and right now he's in a breeder net. I lowered the water level so it's a little easier for him to get to the surface and I put in his floating log so he has something to rest on. But he's just laying on the bottom of the netting. I put some pellets in and he wasn't interested at all!

Is there anything I can do for him? I'm worried that he's dying but I really want him to get better soon!!
charmed871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #2 
Sea Dragon

How old is he? How often do you do water changes and cleaning?

Make sure he has constant clean, warm water. To help his fins heal, try 1 tsp/gal of aquarium salt as well as stress coat (if you have it). Check the disease sticky for more detail on the fin rot treatment. IAL or green tea (decaf) will help with the stress.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, betta, fins, rip, sick