Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #1 
underdebate

Anyone want to squash my paranoia?

So.

About two and a half months ago I started taking care of bettas again. I've had experience on and off since about the age of four (becoming progressively more serious over the years), but this sort of marked the first time I opted to do it on my own-- all the research, all the care, buying equipment, setting up tanks, worrying, nail-biting, getting excited and then worrying all over again. I'm not new to this but I'm doing it on my own for the first time. (Which is SCARY.)

The beginning of this adventure was marked with some less-than-pleasant experiences. Armed with a new tank, conditioner, heater, THE WORKS, I set out to my LPS.

Within five days I lost two fish. The worst part was that they died before I could even identify the cause of the problem-- I now know they were very sick when they came to me, but it hit REALLY hard, and it was right at the beginning to, so it shook my confidence. Still, I resolved to try again.

I woke up, a week later, on the morning of an exam to find my third had jumped through the one-inch space at the back of his tank (with the water level at least two inches lower) and landed behind it. I was traumatized and upset beyond words. Nevertheless I cleaned him up and went and wrote the exam, coming home and bawling my eyes out afterwards.

The very same day, an acquaintance of mine told me he was offering up a betta he couldn't care for. The betta had fin rot. I didn't feel like I deserved another but I knew the alternative was a flushing and I couldn't say no. Cue frantic forum posts, obsessive water-changes, monitoring, attentive care. Isaac's fins turned into swiss cheese and eventually he lost about half of his back one before they started to heal; two months later they're not as long as they used to be, but he's healthy.

An unfairly lucky twist of fate left me the owner of four new tanks, ranging in size from 3 to 10 gallons. As of now they all sit empty. Isaac is in a heated 1.5 gallon bowl while his tank cycles and is happier than I've ever seen him. I know I'm ready to start again, slower this time, but I'm ready. It's all ready, even down to filter flow and the softest plants in the universe.

However, after my less-than-commendable ventures before, I'm basically terrified. I know what I'm doing and I'm doing it right, but I'm so unbelievably worried.

Reassurances, guys? I just want to know I can do this.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #2 
lvandert

You can do it! Don't give up! I'm going through the same thing but with breeding. Just be polish (If you have some polish in you it helps, irish or native american works too)- be so bullheaded about something that you never give up or truly stop.!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
MaggieLynn

Dont worry you can do this
I went from 1 to 7 to over 10, it sucks when you lose them, the first that went my norbert, who jumped, was the hardest, and then i lost a second one to illness and then a third girl to an illness that treatment didnt help, it sucks and its hard but thats how you grow you learn you can do it just look at Isaac, and what you did for him, he is healthy and happy and you saved him and made that happen things will get better :)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #4 
Zero186

You got this! Things happen that are just out of our control, and learning from those incidents is how we become better fish keepers. On top of it all your taking care of those that normally wouldn't have had a second chance at all. Keep your head up!
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

You are so prepared, you have all the stuff, you are cycling, you brought him back from rotted fins, and if anything goes wrong we are here for you. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #6 
underdebate

;_________;

Oh gosh, guys, thank you. That was exactly what I needed to hear and I really do feel better about everything now. Sometimes it's just tough to remember that even if we make mistakes, we're learning from them and the important thing is that we keep trying.

Thank you!
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 
lvandert

Not a problem! We're happy to help
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #8 
samual989

I like the "native american" comment! I feel that is my drive side and my english side is the neurotic get it right once I know it side! Trial and error are key just try to buy from breeders with gd stock not chain stores! If u have a problem with your lfs quality let them know or find another one! If u see one dead fish in your lfs move on that is his business and should never let his showcase have a flaw! Think of a eye glasses store having a pair of broken frames on display...or a puppy lying there listless and sick, just the same only fish! Which I like fish more so than a puppy.If they care they will have healthy tanks! Petsmart, petco, and all other chains will end quality fish and eventually ruin the hobby if we give them a dime! I have been in hobby for 25 yrs and seen the lfs population dwindle because of chain stores. They don't buy locally I.E. People on this forum , they don't care where the stock comes from and hire some kid for 7 bucks an hour to manage their tanks/cups. Not a good policy in my eyes to buy from them.
samual989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 
Sivan

Accidents happen and they hurt. I had nightmares for a long time after Fabio died during a water change and I thought countless times about what could have gone wrong, never knowing exactly what it was that killed him. I felt like I did not deserve a fish and was angry with myself because I know SO much about taking care of them but it wasn't enough.

Bad things happen but if you care enough and do all you can to educate yourself on their proper care, then you DO deserve a betta. Sometimes things are out of your control and sometimes you do not predict certain accidents.

Learn from these mistakes.
Grow.
And love your bettas.

You deserve them.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #10 
Wolfboy51

Dont worry, i remember losing my first betta. He got stuck in the divider :..( i made a safer one out of perspex with holes drilled through it. Now i have 3. And im planning on breeding. Good luck :D and plz post a couple pics, we all love them.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote