Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
courtneeeyyy

Unhappy listless betta, please help!

I can't find any info on what's going on with my little guy anywhere, and I'm desperate for help.

I've had Phineas for a little over 8 months now. He was teeny tiny when I first got him, but he grew really well and has always been an active guy until lately. Over the past week, he hasn't been moving around much and just kind of sits at the bottom of his tank. He's been eating, and swims to the top when I feed him, but he hasn't been swimming around much. He's not bloated and doesn't have popeye or any other physical symptoms.

I've tried changing his water and giving him a "quickfix" medicine, but that didn't work. He's all alone in a 5 gallon tank that I keep heated and filtered, and has a fake plant, spongebob house decoration, and a leaf hammock. The only change I've made recently has been changing his dark blue gravel out for white gravel with some decorative orange stones.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?
courtneeeyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 
wystearya

How often do you do water changes? How much of the water do you change when you do so?

You say your tank is filtered, but do you have a test kit to test the water? The ammonia (or nitrites) could be building up, even with a filter. It takes a while for a tank to 'cycle' and build up beneficial bacteria. Until then, frequent water changes are needed to keep the water safe for your fish.

Also, did you rinse out the new gravel before adding it to the tank?

What kind (brand) of dechlorinator do you use?

I'm just trying to think of what might be wrong. More information will help me (and/or other members) to help you out!

Last edited by wystearya; 04-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom sitting, listless, not moving, sick