Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #11 
ANHEL123

I read that bettas are very adjustable to the temperature and hardness. So i think it fine that he has curly fins it i think due to hard water. But i don't know about rays sticking together. Can you put picture so other people can see if it normal due to hard water?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #12 
OMGemily

click the link in my signature, there should be pictures there of it.

EDIT: actually theres not a good recent picture of it there. ill try to post one tomorrow... didnt realize how bad it had gotten

he seems to be acting blind again... and not eating... he was fine this morning though... but i havent seen him since 8 am. (its 11 pm now) he was sleeping i think when i turned the light on but looked normal and woke up shortly after

Last edited by OMGemily; 04-02-2012 at 11:12 PM.
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #13 
BETTACHKALOVE

Not able to see picture ...Why it bad? What is the symptoms? White cottony patches, got shorter, stick together more than before....

What do you mean he acting blind is he darting around?

Check him again..i just was thinking if he was sleeping and no light and all of a sudden you turn the light on maybe it was too sudden for him and he got scare...

Is he eating again?

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #14 
Sakura8

Emily, it sounds like the white stuff was most likely excess slime coat that came off. It's too bad he is acting blind again but ANHEL and BETTACHKALOVE have a point: he might have been startled by the sudden light. How is he doing now?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #15 
OMGemily

Quote:
Not able to see picture ...Why it bad? What is the symptoms? White cottony patches, got shorter, stick together more than before....

What do you mean he acting blind is he darting around?

Check him again..i just was thinking if he was sleeping and no light and all of a sudden you turn the light on maybe it was too sudden for him and he got scare...

Is he eating again?
the picture are in the second post i think in the thread linked in my signature. But those were taken a while ago. Now his fins are more "stuck together" looking and i think they might be shorter... one ray looks like its about to fall off... i dont know why this is happening because the melafix he just got done with also treats fin rot... so im guessing its not that... his fins werent very big to begin with so im kind of worried... still havent been able to get a picture (have to use moms camera and she doesnt like me using it for some reason) ill try again tomorrow. the missing rays on his anal fin though are definitely growing back. theyve gotten longer for sure. Hes acting blind meaning he doesnt react to my finger in front of him. Last time it was right after i turned his light on but i dont think it was the first time and hes never had a problem with that before... he did eat again today... usually the "blindness" and not eating go together and its usually in the morning, but even when i do turn his tank light on, my light has been on for a while so its at least somewhat gradual... also, something strange, he still has some rainbow colored gravel in his tank, just tiny crumb sized peices because i cant ever seem to get it all out. but yesterday, or this morning, i cant remember which, i noticed there was a brownish rock. or what looks like a rock that wasnt there before... it looks like those rocks they put in kids playgrounds... also, the tanks been barebottomed for a while and ive never seen poop on the tank floor... (the rock like thing is probably close to the size of his pectoral fins so im pretty sure its impossible for that to be it) soo i have no clue whats wrong with him, if anything. but it seems like something... he still acts normal most of the time... but he just doesnt seem healthy...

Quote:
Emily, it sounds like the white stuff was most likely excess slime coat that came off.
so it wasnt bad? can that be a sign of another illness or something that i did wrong? i measured out the conditioner... i didnt think i put too much in... maybe i should use another brand? ... if thats even the cause of it?

by the way, i know im really inexperienced, and im sorry if i ask stupid questions... i know i shouldve done more research before i bought Antione but i have him now and i really want to give him the chance to be happy and old
Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #16 
Sakura8

It's okay Emily, you're not asking stupid questions and you're doing a very good job with him. It can be very hard knowing how to treat sick bettas because their symptoms can mean any number of diseases. So you're doing fine. And anyway, asking questions is the best way to learn. :)

I doubt he has fin rot. More likely, it's an issue of hard water and/or high pH. As long as he can swim, it's probably not a real problem. Curling/fusing rays in crowntails is pretty common, especially in hard water or high pH.

The excess slime coat CAN be a sign of an illness, such as external parasites but in this case, I think it just means the Melafix was doing its job. When a fish gets sick, its first response is to create more slime coat so it's harder for the bacteria/parasites to attach and infect. When that slime coat is no longer needed, it's shed and usually shows up as nasty white gunk in the tank.

I've heard crowntails can be more prone to constipation so we'll keep an eye on him. Not all fish poop every day though, so this could just be his normal . . . er, schedule. If he hasn't pooped in a few more days, we can try some epsom salt.

As for too much conditioner . . . generally, unless you dump half the bottle in, it's pretty hard to overdose on water conditioner. I almost never measure now, I just kinda of eyeball it. And it's always better to have more than less anyway.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #17 
OMGemily

Thanks :) ill just be glad when im not such a newbie at this fish keeping business. i hate that he might be suffereing because of my lack of experience.

As for the water parameters, last i checked the pH was i believe 7.2 and hardness either 150-180 which i looked up and found out was "medium-hard" and i didnt think much of it after that, but his fins have gotten a lot worse... theyve gotten shorter, more clumped and curled, some of the clumped ones are kind of wavy/bumpy looking. and theres a single straight ray... which is what i judge the damage of the others by. His caudal fin is the worst, followed by his dorsal fin. but the rays on his anal fin are still growing back (yay im doing something right!) so i guess maybe hes just really sensitive to hard water maybe? like i said ill try again to get a picture of him after school today so you can see how much its progressed in the last month. It doesnt seem to be anything serious though so im not too worried about it. Id just like to know if theres anything i can do to make his fans as long and straight as they used to be :)

I did order IALs as well and just got the e mail that theyve been shipped so they should be here hopefully some time next week. Do you think that will help his fins?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #18 
ANHEL123

Sorry now i am embarrassed to ask this question..it probably silly question. I am wondering if you let water to age is it can help to soften it? Like i let water sit for 24 hrs before I change them. But I don’t do it because I have hard water though.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Emily, it could be that he's very sensitive to hard water or that there are some extra minerals or something htat are making his fins curled like that. The IAL should help. It will certainly help to soften the water and lower the pH. But your pH is only very slightly alkaline so it's not really a problem.

ANHEL, I'm not sure. I know that aging hte water can help balance the pH so it doesn't fluctuate but I don't think it softens it. I'll have to look into that. And don't worry, it's not a silly question at all. :)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

Thank you :) I am glad that IAL can soften the water. I hope he will adopt to the water that he is in:)