Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #21 
OMGemily

finally got to take some pictures of him! its not a great picture over all but it shows his fins perfectly. the first wasnt long after i got him and the second was taken just now. Sorry theyre kinda big :/
Attached Images

OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #22 
OMGemily

like i stated above im most worried about his caudal fin, bu as you can see his missing rays in his anal fin have grown back so much already :) also the last 2 or 3 rays in his anal fin were clumped together at the tips but arent anymore
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #23 
Sakura8

The fins do look a little "clumpy" but not quite as bad as I feared. I don't really have much experience with crowntails but iit's also possible this clumping effect is due to the aging process. As bettas age, their fins do change and they don't always look as neat and tidy as they used to. Indjo, who posts a lot over in breeding, told me that when I expressed some concerns about my halfmoon, whose fins look horrible compared to when I first got him. You could try PMing him and asking for his opinion. He might also be able to tell you if it's a genetic thing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #24 
OMGemily

i always thought he was really young because hes so tiny. you cant necessarily tell in the pictures above but id say hes about an inch and a half long with his caudal fin (just attempted to measure him haha) but ill message Indjo and see what he says
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Sure. The other thing you could try is setting him up in a different source of water to see if his fins uncurl. If they uncurl when he's in water that is definitely soft, then it's probably a hard water problem. But that could be a bit difficult to do, finding a source of soft water. :/
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #26 
OMGemily

well i should have the IALs soon so if he gets better after i put those in then that would mean it was probably a hard water problem too right?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #27 
Sakura8

Yeah, probably. If that's the case, it doesn't hurt to keep IAL in all the time. As long as you don't mind tea-colored water.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #28 
OMGemily

I messaged Indjo about it and heres what he said:

Quote:
Hi Emily,
Though I have no real experience on CT, I'll try my best answering your question anyway.

First of all he looks like he has recovered from some kind of illness (don't know much about illness - the reason I mostly stay in the breeding section). That's why his fins are that way. But his color and opened fins indicates that he is healthy or has recovered. Good Job!!!

CT are rather fussy on water parameter (this is why I don't keep them - though they are local to my country). They need neutral pH and softer water to maintain their fins. Otherwise their fins will bend/curl or if they're still growing, they will grow unevenly. Sometimes this will affect their over all health which will be shown by clamped fins. But often it only affects their fins.

One way to reduce water hardness is by using IAL or Oak leaves. IAL is a must (to my local CT lovers) when keeping and breeding CT. But you could also use other substances available to you - as long as it reduces water hardness and keeps it stable.

Most tap water has rather high pH - about 8.5. At a stable pH, this should not affect their health but fluctuation on any parameter will. So keep in mind that the most important to consider is keeping the prams stable. If you have pH reducers that can keep it stable at a certain pH, use them. But if it constantly fluctuates, it's better not to use them. Your betta's fins may curl, but at least he will remain healthy. As far as I know local CT lovers only rely on IAL.

Hope this helps. Sorry I can't give you further information.
indjo
And in reply to you Sakura, I definitely dont mind tea colored water as long as it means a healthy colored fish :) haha
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #29 
Sakura8

:) Indjo knows his betta genetics very well. It's sounding more and more like a hard water issue making his fins funky.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #30 
OMGemily

i thought the same thing. One somewhat irrelevant question, i put the filter that came with the tank in and baffled it and the cirrent was wtill to strong. Do you think it would be ok if i used it in a 10 gallon? would there be any point? I mean would it still filter that much water with only that much power? also, would the current be less violent? And would the IALs still stay floating?