Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #31 
Sakura8

You can use the filter in the 10 gallon, sure. You're right though, it won't filter as much as a filter rated for a 10 gallon. But if he's the on,y inhabitant of the 10g, that would probably be fine. The current will be dispersed over a greater surface of water, plus he'll have more room to avoid the current if he wants to.

IAL float for maybe 2 days and then they get waterlogged and start to sink but that's okay because bettas love to rest on sunken leaves.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #32 
OMGemily

so its ok to leave the IALs in after they sink? and will my tank cycle with the filter? and will i have to do less water changes?
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Yes, it's okay to leave sunken IAL leaves. I do. :) Your tank probably will cycle somewhat, as the filter provides the place for the good bacteria to grow but I'd still recommend doing at least 35% water changes per week. Generally, a rule of thumb for filters is bigger is better because it provides more surface area for the good bacteria.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #34 
OMGemily

thatd still be better than 100% every week in my 5.5 gallon. i think mom's getting mad at me for using so much water haha how could i get it to cycle completely? and what exactly does that mean? sorry, this seems to have turned into betta fish 101 haha if only that was a real class o.O
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #35 
OMGemily

I just came home to a sleeping Antione and was trying to move slowly and quietly so I didn't wake him up but he started swimming around anyway. So I figured I'd feed him since he was awake and he did the whole "blind" thing again. I know you said It could be the shock of the light but could it also be that he's just "sleep swimming"? I've read before that sometimes when they "sleep" they swim around. Could this maybe be why he ignores me? Every time I've noticed it it's been when I've gotten home late and had to feed him hours after I normally do. It seems like a logical explanation to me. But fish aren't my area of expertise yet
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #36 
Sakura8

Sorry for the late reply to your posts - my iPad keyboard died on me.

First, the cycling. Cycling basically means maturing the filter so that lots of beneficial bacteria grows. This beneficial bacteria eats the toxic ammonia that fish excrete and turns it into slightly less toxic nitrite. Another type of beneficial bacteria also grows and that eats the toxic nitrite and turns it into even less toxic nitrate. Without a filter and hte filter media, you really can't cycle a tank because the beneficial bacteria has nowhere to grow.

To get your tank to cycle completely, it would be best to get a filter rated for 10-20 gallons. That would provide enough surface area that plenty of bacteria can grow, enough bacteria to handle all the waste in a 10g. But even with a smaller filter, you'll still get quite a bit of good bacteria. :)

It's possible. I don't know if I've ever seen one of my fish sleep-swim but I wouldn't really put it past them. Since they don't have eyelids, it's very hard to know exactly what they are doing when they are asleep. It could also be that since he was being fed later than usual, he had to kind of "wake up" first. The same way we humans can be really sleepy still for a few minutes after we wake up.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #37 
OMGemily

I realized last night that its uaually when i get homw really late so that makes me feel better. I put one pellet in his tank last night and he ignored it. i left it in to see if he would eat it or if it would sink. and the next morning it was gone so i guess he ate it after i went to sleep. still waiting on my IALs but he seemed to have a hole in his fin today and yesterday. it just looks like someone poked his fin with a needle. this has happened before and it was gone the next day so im not sure if its anything to worry about. other than that though hes great :) doesnt seem sick at all anymore
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #38 
ANHEL123

I would check if he eating though. If he ignored it. Bettas so piggy eaters that i would be surprised if they ignored food, especially if he didn't do it before.The pellet might be on the bottom and you would not able to see it because of the gravel. He still active? The hole i think may be fin rot or do you have sharp decorations in the tank that he could damage his fins.

Even if it fin rot it can go away with regular water changes. Or i would think may be you need more water changes. Or i am wondering if it because of hard water.

My questions is while you don't have IOL is stress coat might help?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote