Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 
kfmaguire

Betta with Platys?

Hello! I was wondering if I could have a betta and 3-4 platys living together in a 10 gallon aquarium. Would the betta be too agressive towards the platy? Thanks!
kfmaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

IME- Betta are more aggressive toward their own species-usually its the other species that end up fin nipping the Betta more than the Betta being problematic.....Sometimes in smaller tanks the Betta can corner slower moving or weaker fish-often the Betta gets blamed for killing other fish-but usually it was due to the fish being dead and/or missing for other reasons and the Betta was seen picking at the already dead body....and gets the wrap for killing it...that said, I have had some Bettas more female than long heavy fin males that would hunt other species down and actively kill them too.....

New born fry of the Platy would be at risk......but usually once the fry are too big to fit in their mouth the male Bettas will usually leave them alone-they are usually too slow to catch them....but not the females.....lol.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #3 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I have a male betta living with 4 platy and they get along just great but remember that you need 2 female platy for every male.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

I think it would depend on your fish [Betta and Platy]. When my betta was first introduced to some platys he was actually bullied by one female platy that I had to get rid of. After that though it has been smooth sailing and he actually lives with fancy guppies as well now and I have not once seen him chase them. (Of course my tank is bigger then a 10)

I'd say if your betta doesn't seem constantly hyper aggressive at his own shadow it's worth a try. My boy thinks he's a part of their group and likes sleeping against them. The betta [and platy parents] will eat the baby fry though which I find to be a bonus to keep population under control. XD
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon aquarium, betta, platy