Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #11 
MaisyDawgThirteen

The short tail guppies look like endler/guppy hybrids. I may be wrong, though . . .
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #12 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I know! Same problem here. To get an ammonia kit, a nitrite kit and a nitrate kit cost me $80+. Thank goodness I got a discount (not a large one, but every little helps!)
Outrageous, isn't it? I stick with the cheap (well, cheaper) sticks for most everything, and then take samples to the local fish shop for more detailed analysis every so often. They will even run it through a little computerized thing and give me a print out if I pay a tiny fee! The sticks may not be accurate on the details, but they do tell me if something is off.
Drives me crazy to have people tell me to go out and pick up a master kit. If they sold them, and they were the same price as they are in the US I most definitely would!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
The short tail guppies look like endler/guppy hybrids. I may be wrong, though . . .
They are wild type guppies, and from what I understand Endlers were developed from that strain of wild guppies. So they are sort of the ancestors of the Endler type. A bit less flashy, fallen out of popularity, and a lot cheaper (here, at least).
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The original is the black bar endler. They were that flashy in the wild, endlers are their own species (Poecillia wingei). They are no longer found in the wild, supposedly due to habitat destruction, I believe the origins were in veneuzuela. That fish probably came from endlers or endler x's..

Have you tried online for a master test kit? Like maybe eBay has a deal? I had to pay $50 for mine, I know, it's so ridiculous. If you can get to a fish store often enough though there isn't that much of a problem though.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #14 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The original is the black bar endler. They were that flashy in the wild, endlers are their own species (Poecillia wingei). They are no longer found in the wild, supposedly due to habitat destruction, I believe the origins were in veneuzuela. That fish probably came from endlers or endler x's..
It seems I was misinformed on the Endlers. Here, they are considered completely a variety of guppy - and I guess they really are, at least according to Wikipedia?

The short tailed guppies I linked to are not linked to Endlers at all, they are just a variety of wild guppy. They do sell guppies derived from Endlers (mixed), but they cost a bit more.

Quote:
Have you tried online for a master test kit? Like maybe eBay has a deal? I had to pay $50 for mine, I know, it's so ridiculous. If you can get to a fish store often enough though there isn't that much of a problem though.
I have, but while there are often shipping deals to other places, pretty much never to Japan. I would have to pay as much in shipping to get it to me as it would cost to buy everything separate.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #15 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That sucks :/ well as long as your fish store does it that's fine. If you got big time into fish then it'd be worth it, but for a few tanks, meh :p
They are really close genetically and in area. But they breed true, I like to consider them separate, they're so different looking. The endler is getting rare in the wild, if not impossible to find, so they should be protected as a species.
Did you consider dividing and getting two betta instead?
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #16 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Did you consider dividing and getting two betta instead?
I have thought about it, but I would rather not divide. If I had my male in this tank (and if he didn't seem so settled in to his current tank), I would have thought a bit more strongly about it... But it is my girl in this tank, so I want her to still have room to swim around if she desires. I guess I could divide it and get another female, but it would feel kind of weird. I would rather wait and try a sorority someday in a larger tank.

For some reason I am way more attached to the female I bought sort of on a whim to go with the male than I am to the male himself. Especially after I almost lost her a couple days ago when she jumped and dried on a piece of cardboard...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #17 
laoshun

I'm sorry for your lost =/ but hey sometimes the ones that are bought on a whim are the best ones.

Last edited by laoshun; 04-15-2012 at 09:08 PM.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #18 
Tamyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoshun View Post
I'm sorry for your lost =/ but hey sometimes the ones that are bought on a whim are the best ones.
Thanks - but I didn`t end up losing her. She just scared me a lot. She jumped out of the tank and managed to get wedged in the folded cardboard I have between her tank and the male's. I tore the area up searching for her, and eventually found her but she was sort of dried to the paper. I peeled her off carefully and put her back in her tank.

She looked bad for a day or two, but is now completely healed up and going strong. I decided to rethink putting anything in with her because she has gotten pretty feisty and is a pretty aggressive girl. She flares three times as much as my male... She can see a tiny reflection of herself in a silver sticker on the filter, and will flare at it like crazy if she goes over there.

So if I do a community with a betta, I think it will be when I get a larger tank and can move my male to it.

Thanks to everyone who did offer me advice.