Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

I've been getting city bettas, and haven't had a problem with them. actually, I'm thinking it's the tap UPSTAIRS, because the only one who has never had a problem is my boy Jekyll downstairs. any fish I had downstairs never had a problem... I moved Conan upstairs, water change like usual... he died! no reason for it. no signs, no ammonia burns... grrr >< So I'm actually suspecting the tap itself, which is very possible it could be leaching something. I would move everyone back downstairs if it comes to it. I do have a spare room. I've noticed only sickness, in ones upstairs :/

also, can you give me a site for UV sterilizer and...the...ugh Im tired, whatever the other thing is called x.x my mind refuses to work this morning.... D:

and nice to see you cajunamy o_O

and again, it's going to be for summer. it's almost April now, I have a good few months before I decide to do it anyways.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #12 
Sena Hansler

Some thoughts....copper? phosphate? I don't think calcium build up is harmful but mind as well say it xD I'll be looking it up, but I'd like to test it.... if I could.

Oh, a side note... the water is from the same source as my last place, and as my parent's place, both of which I had long living healthy bettas, and healthy fish! :) so if it's the water source it's peculiar.. Spartan lived downstairs and he lived well for his life with a tumor.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 03-31-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Ahhh screw what it is =D Guess what? I did a water change for Juniper, Ghengis and Red, with water from downstairs.... Juniper is putting on a show and is more active, Ghengis is more active and colorful, and Red is more active. It's gotta be the tap.... I haven't seen this behavior in them since they were moved upstairs. So whatever is in THAT tap, I don't like it.

So, I am getting the aquavac to get water from downstairs to upstairs on the 7th, right now it's a bucket at a time.... -preoccupied with watching Juniper- He's also got the two stripes on his cheaks I haven't seen since I bred last....
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #14 
MrVampire181

Water is the same all over the house. Id still go with R/O water to be safe.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #15 
cajunamy
Banned

Yeah, I don't understand how it could be upstairs and not downstairs Sena. Plumbing would be the same, water source is the same. Some fish can live through nasties in the water better, some can't. Tank size will also be a factor - my big tanks don't have a problem with the tap. BUT I have live plants in one and the other is an oscar in a huge 55 all to himself.

R/O filter. Reverse Osmosis. You shouldn't need a UV sterilizer with a r/o filter. And they are very expensive. $150+. And a UV sterilizer, as far as I know, won't affect anything coming out of the tap except for bacteria/fungus. Not phosphates, calcium, copper, whathaveyou.

And what exactly does 'and nice to see you cajunamy o_O' mean? Seems like a sarcastic comment, but then this is the internet and meaning does not come across well.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

No, I'm just not used to seeing you around anymore, it wasn't sarcastic Everything in this house, is the cheap stuff, even if it were upgraded. Owner of the pet store tested PH, ammonia (0), and hardness for me, but didn't have other tests -.-

And where do you get a R/O unit??? I've never seen one in stores here or in the city :(
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

although I wish my thread stayed on track. If I were to breed her, would she be one I'd have to watch constantly instead of being able to leave them be?
Old 03-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

If you watch them they'll never get anything done (hence why it took me awhile to get a spawn...). Check them every hour for longer than five minuets.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

makes sense :) one male I had to put white paper up to hide all distractions because he LOVED to flare at everything else but he was also a "leave alone for a couple hours...now you have a spawn!" that pair was the easiest pair to spawn... but that was just luck :/ it won't be as easy any other spawn!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Aggressive females are usually easier to breed. You only need to get her "in the mood" by treating her like any male (breeder) - isolate and exercise regularly. If she is healthy and in breeding age, she should get into the breeding mood. She will flirt swim every time you flare her, just like a male, indicating that she's ready to breed. It would be best to breed her to an aggressive male because if the male doesn't chase her she might attack the male..... this is rare in my tanks but I've heard many experience this.

These females will usually "lead" the courtship ritual ..... until she is bitten. But she should spawn faster because she will not hide for long and or will constantly approach the male. Non aggressive females sometimes hides for too long, making the whole process longer.

I usually release both just before dark. Watch them for about half an hour to see how they swim. If all is OK, I leave them alone until the following day. They usually spawn the following day - veterans in the early morning but first timers often spawn near or after noon.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote