Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 
mdl249

Exclamation Is this dropsy? Please help!

I posted a day ago about my betta fish Eric not being able to swim and being lethargic. Here's a link to all of that information:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=97389

I thought it was swim bladder, and have been trying to get him to be better.

I have put him in an epsom salt water bath in a smaller container that is floating in his large container. I am going to do daily water changes (The first one was last night), and his tank temperature is 78 degrees.

Today, I was researching some more and stumbled upon "dropsy". When I looked at Eric from above, he does look like there is a little pineconing, but nothing I would have noticed had I not read about dropsy.

Am I paranoid and seeing things, or is this pineconing and therefore dropsy?

I am trying my hardest to keep this guy alive. But if it is dropsy, Id rather put him out of his misery...What can I do?

Thanks

Last edited by mdl249; 03-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.
mdl249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

he should look like a pinecone, if he has dropsy. Scales will always raise that little bit if they are bloated.

3 teaspoons of epsom salt per gallon, dissolved FIRST before adding. Add a little over time, so a few hours, and epsom salt should help what's inside, or at least ease. It will not cure dropsy, dropsy is a sign of organs failing. If you find he does have dropsy, you can choose to euthanise him, using clove oil method, or smashing, or leaving him to die on his own. I'm scared to smash and usually if the fish is suffering I use the clove oil...works well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote